Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Worcester Pobble?

(subtitled: DonDon, Step Away from the Pharmacy!)

Interesting to get back online and see how many people have been hibernating recently. I know I have. Contrary to popular belief, I am indeed an introvert. Actually, I am, according to my therapist friends, what's known among therapist circles as a Hub. It means that I require equal amounts of introverted and extroverted times. Personally, I think I'm just an introvert but they're the ones who've gone to school for this shit so who am I to argue. ;) Anyway, there isn't any "good" reason for me to have been offline. Nothing "bad" happened. Just...didn't write. Didn't socialize much. Turned down some invitations to some parties. Didn't even work (too much) on my books (as FAEE looks at the calendar, my deadlines, and grabs her heart, gasping.) Didn't return many phone calls. For no reason at all. And now I'm writing again. Probably still won't return phone calls but that's vintage Pobble regardless of if I'm being introverted or extroverted or whatever.

Okay, Pobble, fine. But what's up with the title? Well, it appears that I won't be moving to Philly anytime soon. Even Philly isn't inexpensive enough. So, until I succeed in making people give me things just 'cause I'm cute (which I will find a way to make happen one of these days), I have to find a place I can afford to live and keep writing.

Here's the thing ~ I can get a "real" job and stay here. Except what I am qualified to do in the real world is exhausting. No matter how much I have loved my jobs in the past (and Lord, have I loved my jobs) they have worn me out. If I choose to go back there, it means, in essence, these three books will be the only three I ever write. Guess what? I'm not going to do that. I'm a writer, dammit. It's who and what I am. It's what I love. So, I will live wherever (almost) I have to live in order to keep writing full-time. And if that also entails getting a part-time job at a bookstore or answering phones, that's okay. But I won't give up full-time writing.

Once this decision was made, others had to follow. The Lovely Cats and the Divine M invited me to live with them. As did my mother. Because I am neurotically independent and stubborn as a mule, I am trying to not take TLC and TDM up on their offers. My mother lives on the West Coast and that would take me too far away from my family (see my first post "Whose Family" for an explanation of that statement.)

Which made me realize...being close to the Muppet, Brian's wife, the Lovely Cats, the Divine M, Nemeria ~ that is as important as writing full time. And others. People who aren't my family but are the best friends I've had in a long time... BJ, the Happy Couple and their evil twins, Peaches, Jaded, my not-ex-friend, FAEE, the Girlfriends. Being near them is important.

Would I have moved to Philly? In a heartbeat. It's close enough that we would have all figured something out. Away from the East Coast, though? I can't. I won't. And not because it's the East Coast anymore. Because of these people. Who mean as much as writing does.

So maybe my therapist friends aren't crazy to have spent that much cash on their educations. Maybe there is such a thing as a Hub. And maybe I really am just that such thing. But no maybe ~ I'll go to Worcester before I'll leave here. At least right now.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

3 comments:

Jaded said...

So, you can become the Bostonish Pobble. Or the Bostonesque Pobble. Perhaps the Boston-vicinity Pobble? GreaterBoston Pobble? Hey, whatever works, huh? But those are a tad better than the "Woostuh Pobble," in my opinion, lol.

In any case, you must write and therefore must do whatever is necessary to make that happen. Connecticut is generally expensive, as is Rhode Island. Well, at least in the places that are worth living in. Western MA is nice, but isolated. South of Boston is expensive because it gets close to the Cape. NY state is nice, but can be isolated. What about a place like Cherry Hill, NJ? Just across the river from Philly...nice area. Stay out of Camden, however. I try not to go near it, even by accident. Murder capital of the country. In any case, i will respond to your email as well.

Word verification: sjurtg...south jersey you are to go. Prophetic.

dondon009 said...

Sweet Jesus..... I was raised 20 miles from Worcester and no offense to Worcester but ....hmmmm no comment!

There's something about Boston... why do I miss it so terribly after sixteen years?

Key West would have been perfect; well it was in Hemingway's day except we do tend to have a thing for Hurricanes in Florida.

CrackerLilo said...

I'm a hub myself, and know I am one.

I'm also a "Cracker" Lilo, as in Florida Cracker, though my body's in NYC. I know where my mind and soul were molded, and continue to honor them without necessarily having to be there all the time. Think about that.

And yes, it is WEIRD how many of us were hibernating in some fashion! I really do believe in astrological phases for this reason.