Pages

Thursday, July 03, 2008

A (Not-So) Small Request

Yes, I know I've been away. Yes, I am coming back. But reading blogs takes much less time than writing them and even work-at-home-in-front-of-the-computer work must trump blogging. Sadly.

However, I am taking this moment to make a request. Tomorrow is the 4th of July. Here in the States, that means Independence Day. And booze. And fireworks. Which is an interesting combination, if you think about it.

Lithus, in a recent email to a fellow pilot/firefighter, referred to the 4th as "the start of arson season." The fellow pilot/firefighter replied back with "Good luck out there." Lithus, already out of town, goes on full alert starting tomorrow. Fellow pilot/firefighter is already flying fires today.

So here's my request...remember shit catches fire. Remember grass burns. Trees burn. Yards and houses and structures burn. Yes, fireworks are really wicked cool. Yes, beer and daiquiris and hard lemonade taste great. But maybe think about indulging in one or the other. Because accidents happen. And "here, hold my beer while I do this" have been famous last words on many occasions. Because somebody's gotta come put out the fire.

And even if it's not the man I love, it's the man or woman someone loves.

Thanks.

Hopefully we'll return to our regularly scheduled blogging. For now, I gotta get back to work.

Those are Pobble Thoughts and Pobble Requests. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

11 comments:

akakarma said...

Good to hear from you Pobble! I know what you mean- I'm either working or trying to catch up on the blogroll! It's hard to have the time to actually create!

Hermes said...

Take your time. No danger of ID celebrations up here. But I promise to not drink and explode. Happy Independence Day!

Anonymous said...

Totally with you. I live in the only city in Santa Clara County (CA) that allows "safe-and-sane" fireworks because the city council caves in to the non-profits that sell them. Which makes it hard for authorities to sort out the illegal ones. And having just spent a vacation where the air was full of smoke, and then coming home to the air full of smoke, I'm acutely aware.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your significant other.

Dennis R. Upkins said...

Seeing that I don't celebrate the 4th, this should be a non-issue.

traci said...

I just love you dearie. Happy 4th and all that. MWAH!

BostonPobble said...

Akakarma ~ Yep, still here. *pant pant* Only a few more pages...

GOML! ~ Thanks. And exploding is okay. Setting things on fire when you explode isn't. Hmmm...although I would miss your posts if you exploded so maybe that's not okay either, because, afterall, it's all about me.

MikeC ~ Thank you. We will both take thoughts and prayers. :)

Neo-Prodigy ~ But I do hope you had a happy Canada Day! ;)

Traci ~ Happy 4th back atcha!

Krystal said...

...She's...ALIVE...

Hey, no fireworks here. We have a two fields that haven't been cut and are thus full of tall dry grass.

Plus, we live in the middle of the woods and I don't want my house to burn down.

Anonymous said...

It's my granma's birthday today and we're making sure that everyone is safe.

kimber said...

Wise words, indeed. Happy Independence Day to you, Pobble!

2 Dollar Productions said...

It's too bad when real life intrudes on blogging, eh? Ha. At least that means you're busy writing and that is good news in and of itself.

And I agree about that hold my beer line. Let's hope the CA wildfires come under control & that more don't start elsewhere. Hope you had a good 4th.

Real Live Lesbian said...

I knew a guy that had no eye due to fireworks. That kinda did it for me. None for me, thanks.

I'll just have a beer and watch 'em on TV.