Pages

Monday, June 07, 2010

Just...sshhhhh

There tends to be a lot of sound in my world. Sometimes, it's noise. The television, a streaming video, phones ringing, dishwashers running, what have you. Other times, it's just sound. Conversations, music, rotor blades. You get the idea.

Yesterday, Lithus and the mechanic left for Bettles, AK. Out of habit, I put on the television, streamed music, made some phone calls. Today, though, today has been different. Today has been quiet. No television. No streaming. My phone hasn't even rung.

I remember what it was like to have time for silence. In a little while, I need to put a load of laundry in. The people who called me yesterday deserve to be called back. Eventually, I'll wonder what's happening in the world and turn on CNN.

For now, though, it's quiet. Listen...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

LRNs said...

A few weeks ago, we had a long power-outage in my neighborhood. Living in suburban NC, there's this constant background noise of air conditioning. Walking down the street was almost spooky. Just dead silence.

Hermes said...

I don't know what to say to this. So...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2mH9nrz60

I love the imagery in this, even though this is not one of my favourite bands. I feel like this king.

Rose said...

I don't like too much quiet time. I need noise, although there is very little around me.

BostonPobble said...

LRNS ~ Yes, we used to have those occasionally in MA, as well. Almost post-apocalyptic like. And that strange combination of beautiful and eerie.

GOML! ~ Yes. Yes, yes, and yes.

Rose ~ We are just the opposite then; I need occasional silence and there is very little of *that* around *me*.