Pages

Monday, June 01, 2009

Lionel

Whenever possible, I celebrate the finishing of a book with time at a spa. Today was the Bobby's Book Spa Day. I was gone for about 5 hours. When I came home, I could hear Lionel barking from the street.

Upstairs, the place was covered in vomit and poop. He was on the kitchen floor, unable to get up. I cannot think what his day was like. I made it home in time and that is what matters. I picked him up and he collapsed his head on my shoulder. He never does that.

Without even putting him down, I called the vet.

It was fast and appeared painless.

There may be more later. There may not be.

That's all I got tonight.

Addendum ~ The hardest part is when I realize he isn't coming back. He's not at a play date. He's not hiding or asleep under his blankets. The vet won't be calling to say I can come pick him up. Lionel just...isn't coming back. As Lithus pointed out, it happened suddenly. It was expected but he was fine this morning. This morning. And now he isn't coming back. That's when I start to cry again.


17 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

You deserved the celebration, but I'm so sorry your day had to end this way. I know it wasn't at all "painless" for you. *hug*

traci said...

I'm sorry Pobble. Hugs to you sweetie.

kimber said...

My thoughts are with both you & Lionel, Pobble. May the night pass softly and gently.

Nemeria said...

I'm so sorry, Pobble. I'm so terribly sorry.

Jersey Girl said...

LOVELOVELOVE to you and Lithius. And of course, to Lionel and his spirit. LOVELOVELOVE!!!!

Dreamer said...

Hugs for you and the puppy...I remember when I met Lionel and Daisy...they're together now but it doesn't make it any easier.

I love you and my thoughts are with you.

Dennis R. Upkins said...

As tragic as all of this is (and I'm heartbroken for you), I think it's amazing that he stuck around long enough just to say goodbye to you and see you one last time. If that isn't love, if that isn't amazing soul, I don't know what is.

This goes without saying but you know to hit me up if you need to talk, vent, commiserate or whatever.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Hermes said...

Oh dear. So sorry for your loss. Lionel is a very lucky dog to have found you when he did. I bet he was a fairly happy bloke. Condolences.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I've been there and I understand. My thoughts are with you.

Cam Pike said...

Thinking of you, Pobble...

2 Dollar Productions said...

I'm very sorry as this is just tough, and I wish it was easier and I had anything of value to say. Best wishes our your way as I know it's hard right now.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Lionel and Daisy were both such lucky pups to have met you. I'll miss them also, photos and stories. I'm so sorry.

appsRus said...

Takes both courage and love at the end of the life of a beloved animal companion. I echo Gnightgirl.

Rose said...

So sorry.....

Momo said...

Thinking of you and Lithus and Lionel...how blessed we are to have them for the time we do.

Gay Soldier's Husband said...

How incredibly wonderful that you were able to be there with him in the end. I, in fact, think it's a privilege. It is, for certain, the hardest thing in the universe to go through, but still a privilege to be there when someone you love leaves this world. You're a good egg, Pobble.

And Dennis is right. He waited for you to be there with him.

Krystal said...

I am so sorry, Pobble...