Pages

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

One of Those Nights

Lori, over at This Just In, has a posting up about those days when it's really, really good to be you, in that moment. Her post got me thinking about several of those times and how wonderful they were. Then an amazing thing happened...

I had another one.

Last night, Lithus and Mechie were craving steak so they decided (*cough*rationalized*cough*) that it really would be cheaper in the long run if the company bought them a small hibachi rather than steak at a restaurant every time they wanted their red meat fix. Lithus called home to see if steaks sounded good to me. As I was alive, conscious and, well, me, it did only I informed him that our hotel wouldn't allow us to have a grill in the parking lot.

Had I called? Nope. Were there rules posted? Nope. But I know this kind of hotel and they aren't the kind who are going to allow the residents, er, guests, have grills in the parking lot. Or chairs. Or door decorations. Because it's that kind of a hotel and once those things start, it stops looking like a hotel and starts looking like the flophouse it kinda, sorta is ~ at least down here on our end.

We were at an impasse. Until the phone rang and it was Lithus, informing me that he had spoken with the front desk and I was correct. No grills allowed on property. But if I wanted to pour myself a libation and wander down the parking lot, past the hotel's property, we were tailgating at the other end. I opened the hotel room door and, sure enough, there they were, at the other end of the parking lot, off the hotel's property, hibachi on the back of the company truck.




What's a girl to do? I poured myself a libation, wandered down and joined them for steaks, corn on the cob and potatoes. The sun set and we were under the full moon and the stars, listening to U2 and the Dropkick Murphys, because my baby loves me.

It was one of those moments and one of those nights. So I'm going to steal from Lori: tell me. Tell me about one of your those nights. You know you've got 'em...

Those are Pobble Thoughts, with some help from Lori and you. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Neo-Prodigy said...

LOL! Classic!!!!

2 Dollar Productions said...

First, that is super-cool about the previous post, and fingers crossed, there will be no issues when you do move the series. No problem Pobble - none.

Now, as for the impromtu hibachi grill, nice work on that one too. Those unforced moments where things just line up are nearly always better than the planned ones, and I bet you had a great time & some excellent food & laughs. Have a great weekend too.

BostonPobble said...

Neo-Prodigy ~ Lithus is the king of finding a way around the rules without *actually* breaking them. lol

$$ ~ First, thank you. As you know, your words carry much weight.

Second, "Those unforced moments where things just line up are nearly always better than the planned ones" ~ that's it in a nutshell. Well phrased.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

It wasn't a night, but I have one!

5 years ago: My ex-husband was kindly letting me & Brian stick around the house until I found my own to buy. Sleeping in separate rooms, acting civil and polite but feeling caged, I finally found THE perfect house for me: light and airy, with a dreamy sunroom. I put a bid on it within an hour of it going on the market....and waited, and waited.

I got the call "you got it" call on a Saturday morning when I was downtown having coffee. I had so much energy that I got up pace around the block with joy, and the strap that held my sandal on fell off, and I found myself walking with only one shoe on. Still giddy, I walked barefoot into a kitschy little resale store (called Dandelion) and found THE perfect pair of replacement shoes: sparkly Blue Glitter shoes.

I walked out with the blue glitter shoes, and back to the coffee shop, where there was an old table with a drawer in it. If you were in the know, you knew that you were to write a note on a napkin and leave it in the drawer. My napkin read "on top of the world in her blue glitter shoes."

It was there for a few years before it was cycled out.