Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Political Addendum

So, a couple days ago, I meerkatted up long enough to write this about the It Gets Better Project. I have since learned why people loathe Dan Savage. And guess what? I'm no longer simply amused by him. His racism and white privilege is astounding.

I still support the program. Because of who I am, my history, the history of many people I love, I cannot not back any program that is aimed toward keeping kids from killing themselves. At the same time, I have to call Dan Savage out on his isms.

As the facilitator of this program, it is his responsibility to actively pursue people of color and transgendered people to speak out here. If he truly wants to impact all LGBT teens and not just the ones who look like him or come from his same background, then he needs to do that. To refuse to be passive about it. Otherwise, he's not doing his stated job and he's certainly not having his intended impact.

The program is good. Again, I won't speak out against a program hoping to keep kids alive. The program is no where near complete, no where near good enough. Step it up, Dan.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

2 comments:

Neo-Prodigy said...

GOD I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

And if he does what you suggest, I could roll with the program as well.

And you wonder why I refer to you as the Mistress of Awesome.

Gay Soldier's Husband said...

Yes, excellent program - incredibly worthy of support.

And he's never really flipped my switch, either. So there.