Pages

Saturday, February 04, 2012

From 1066 to Now and...Beyond

If I say the name Cutty Sark, odds are good you will think of the scotch. That's more than fair. Most of us know Cutty Sark to be this:

In reality, though, the Cutty Sark was this:


And her owner was Jock "White Hat" Willis. Part businessman, part pirate, all class act.

How can a man with that hat and that beard *not* be a class act?
He had a wife and kids. And they had a wives and husbands and kids. Right on down the line...

A man who married a woman with "dangerous eyes"
A coin toss. An adventure. Children to carry on the name. A long, full life.

Totally worthy of an ancestor named for his fashion sense
Angels and ministers of grace defend thee, Mike Willis.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

Hermes said...

I have never heard of Cutty Sark scotch. But if I have whisky I shall raise an ounce in support of your invocation. Sliante.

Gamina said...

Wow! What illustrious company you keep! That is really quite cool!

Miss you!!!

(yes, this is Nemeria. Google ate my account and I can't find it!)

BostonPobble said...

GOML! ~ It's a mid-shelf brand and quite good, I'm told. Scotch makes me gag, so I can't vouche for it myself. However! I poured some grey goose and toasted the old man. I appreciate your joining us, regardless of the libation.

Gamina ~ Interestingly enough, I first heard of White Hat Willis and the ship, the Cutty Sark, from Rex. I think he'd approve, don't you? ;)

Gay Soldier's Husband said...

A beautiful and fitting tribute. Hugs and toasts all around. Hear, hear.

BostonPobble said...

GSH ~ Thank you. Have passed the hugs and the toasts along to a very appreciative Lithus.