Pages

Friday, August 03, 2012

94

Wednesday was a holiday for me, so I decided to take some cornbread and fruit and a couple sips of rum down to the river and watch the sun set. The entire walk there, I'm thinking to myself "just make sure you don't sit in an anthill." See, I am highly allergic to ants. And not just the red fire ants. Little, black, garden variety ants will get me.

In fact, the last time I was bitten by an ant, I went into anaphylactic shock. Another allergen was present ~ toasted coconut ~ and no docctor has ever really been able to tell me if it was one of these, or the combination of the two, that led to the anaphylaxis. I just make it a policy to avoid both.

Which brings us back to Wednesday evening. I get to the river and look around. No ants. Fabulous! I sit down, begin to unpack my cornbread when I realize my dress has pulled up and the grass is dry and therefore biting into my skin. I adjust my dress when ~ and I know you know ~ I realize I am covered in ants. On my hands. On my feet. On my legs. And yes, they are biting.

This is where I will toot my own horn. I did not start screaming. I did not throw myself into the Mississippi River. I did not panic. Instead I packed back up and started paying very close attention to my breathing. So far so good.

I mentally mapped the hotels between me and my apartment, figuring I would stop there and ask them to call for help if necessary. I remembered I had my phone and called the Divine M, who rose to the occasion beautifully. And I made it home.

Even holding off what could be a medical emergency, there is something disconcerting about stepping into a shower fully clothed. But I did it. Rinsed everything, washed everything. Still breathing well. I even thought to drown whatever ants were still in my clothes so they wouldn't be crawling around my apartment.

Yesterday, once the swelling started to go really go down, I decided to count the individual bites. I gave up after 94. Figured that was enough and I didn't need to count any higher than that. Now? Now it looks like I'm a plague-ridden serf from Tudor England and I itch so badly I can just barely stand it. And I'm more or less bedridden because getting up and moving around causes everything to swell back up and hurt. And I'm stoned out of my mind on benadryl, because longer than four hours and the itching gets to the point that I can't stand it. And everything, including my kidneys, aches just a little as my body processes everything.


The pictures below are a little icky, if you're squeamish. Feel free to skip them. You're not missing much else in terms of writing. Instead, envision the town crier coming through, yelling "Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!" and that's about the same thing. :)









These are just of the one ankle.

You don't really need to see the rest of my body


See? Plague-ridden medieval serf, right?


But I'm livin'. And I'll take that.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

neo_prodigy said...

Sheesh. *hugs* You're a good one because I would've been scratching like crazy.

Hermes said...

Ach! Are you sure it was the ants? Perhaps there was a coconut lurking behind a tree!

Seriously, take it easy, enjoy being stoned for a few days and feel better soon.

BostonPobble said...

Neo-Prodigy ~ It's all vanity. If I scratch, they may scar. Vanity, my friend.

GOML! ~ Perhaps they were pina colada drinking ants. But it had to have been the ants, because I drowned a mess of them and, while I am willing to embrace the beast within at certain times, I would rather not have just committed gross acts of anticide for no reason. Thus, ants.

Nemeria said...

Holy Crap, Pobs! I'm itching just looking at those pictures! Further proof that you are a city-dwelling Pobble.

((((((Hugs)))))) and calamine!

BostonPobble said...

Nemeria ~ City-dwelling Pobble, indeed. Calamine and benadryl are my friends.