Pages

Monday, August 05, 2013

But...But...

Father Andrew Greeley has died. He died last May. Now, I admit, it's not that long ago and I certainly didn't know the man. But I wish I'd known sooner, nonetheless.

His books made me want to be a writer. If you have read any of his stuff, and then read mine, the influences are not exactly subtle. His Father Blackie novels have delighted me and consoled me and kept me company for years. His theology was liberal and liberating.

In 2008, he suffered traumatic brain injury getting out of a cab. It seems, from what I can find, that was the beginning of the end. Or maybe, it was just because the man was 85, and deserved a rest. Probably both. Regardless, the world will miss him. I will miss him.

Well done, good and faithful servant...Enter into the joy of your lord.




Those are sad Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

2 comments:

MikeC said...

I read several of his novels many years ago, but I became troubled by what I saw as excessive violence against women in some of his later fiction. That said, he knew how to write a page-turner. His work in sociology was important and relevant as well. What is really sad is that he lost several healthy productive years on account of a crazy, completely avoidable accident. As Episcopalians are wont to say, "Rest in peace and rise in glory."

BostonPobble said...

Mike ~ I guess I haven't read those works, and I'm okay with that. The last few years have been a great loss, indeed.