Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

Busy, Busy, Busy

Oooo....I just love being busy. Unfortunately, it means the updates here at Pobble Thoughts get a little sporadic. Thanks for hanging in with me.

I don't write about work often ~ a hold-over to my human services days when everything was confidential, I guess ~ but it is definitely a large part of what has me busy. A couple weeks ago, my editor gave notice. A year ago, she was given the task of creating a brand new way of marketing the company product: a blog. She hired a writer, who was willing to figure it out with her, as they went along. We have literally built this thing from the ground up, having no clue what we were doing, and now the products we write about sell out regularly. I say this not to brag (although I am not against tooting my own horn), but to explain how unique the situation is. She and I are literally the only ones in the company who know what we're doing and how we're doing it.  Since we're as successful as we are, messing with the formula is a little nerve wracking. Add to that the fact that the writer-editor relationship can be symbiotic under any circumstance when the two have worked together for as long as we have, it's a double whammy. 

Luckily, for me, her boss is still completely committed to the blog. So often, when an editor leaves, the projects he or she cared for get thrown out. I've had that happen more than once. Not the case here. What it does mean is that there has been a scramble for the last two weeks to get as much done as we can, clear as many outstanding edits as we can, and get the new editor up and running as smoothly as possible.

But we're not done yet! During these same two weeks, they also offered me more work, with more pay. Oh hell yes. Still, as exciting and validating as that is, it's more work. A total of three blogs, each updated twice a week. 

Can I tell you a secret?

I am now making as much money writing as I ever did working human services. I'm making more than I have on any book. More than I have in any desk job. I am actually and for real making a living as a writer. Talk about living the dream.

So that's where I've been. How are you doing?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

3 comments:

MikeC said...

As much as I love reading that you have a new title in print that I could order from Amazon or B&N, this is really great. I am delighted for you!

AppsRUs said...

Bravo! A fully portable... (meaning where ever you may be)

BostonPobble said...

Mike ~ Thank you. And me, too. :)

AppRUs ~ Fully portable, I love it. That is how I am going to start describing my job.