Pages

Monday, February 12, 2007

We Might Be Getting It

The Academy Awards are soon upon us. I admit, there are some awards shows that matter to me: the Tonys, the Obies, SAG Awards and yes, the Academy Awards.

This year is one of the most culturally diverse years ever. In the Best Actress category, there is only one white, American woman. (It is, of course, Meryl Streep, as it should be if only one white, American actress is going to be nominated.) Three women from Britain, a woman from Spain, and a woman from America, ranging in age from early-30s to early-70s. And this is the least diversely nominated category in the major ones.

I'm not saying anything is fixed or perfect. Far from it. And no awards have been given out yet. Still...I think we might be getting it. Great actors are great actors. Not great black actors. Not great Spanish actors. Not great British or American actors. Just...great actors. I'm hopeful. At least I'm more hopeful than I've been in a while.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

Tai said...

Wouldn't it be nice for all 'actors' to be judged on their ability alone?

(Thanks for your sweet compliment over at my place!)

Aisha T. said...

I agree, BP. Almost there...

Anonymous said...

Hello Pobble! I'm stopping by to say hi. Hi! I'm really tired and off to bed shortly however I wanted you to know that I appreciate you. Alot. I'll check in again soon.

nRT said...

It would be nice if everyone would think we are one race the HUMAN RACE.
it would solve so many problems.

kimber said...

I have not stopped by for a while -- life has been a hectic whirlwind (hmmm... what's new?) and I've had only scarce moments to sit and read back through posts. Goodness, there has been a lot happening in your world, but as always, you've written passionately and eliquently.

Yes, I can not spell. This, I know.

The coffee/vegetable question resonates with me. I'm rooting for Helen Mirren (I come from a long line of monarchists and commonwealth enthusiasts, and I have always loved her acting, especially Prime Suspect), but may the best woman for the job take home Oscar. :)

Be well, Pobble!

prioritybooks said...

That would be great if the actors were really judged on skills and not race. It is the most diverse award receipients ever. I look forward to the Oscars.

Rose said...

This is the most diverse group ever. Their performances should be what is viewed not folks races. This stuff got to stop on it seems that mankind will continue to slide backwards.