Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ooooo! A Present!

Okay, so it's not really a present but it felt like a present and it's my blog so I get to call it a present if I want to.

While I was under my rock, Get Off My Lawn! awarded me this:



Now, people, how cool is that? Because here's the thing about writers (at least every single writer *I* know): we're an insecure bunch. Maybe not about who we are, our politics, our bodies, our beliefs. We may have all that down. And we may even be able to say "Yes, I write pretty well." But the truth is, we're insecure about that very same writing. A writer who says otherwise is probably lying. (I won't say definitely ~ perhaps that person is the exception that proves the rule; perhaps that person has been doing it long enough to have gotten over the insecurities. But probably lying? Yeah, I'll go that far.) There's always that niggling in the back of the brain that wonders if anyone else is going to get the joke, appreciate the turn of phrase, care about the words. And to learn that one of my favorite reads considers me one of his favorite reads...Well, that's just super cool.

He also says that I host interesting conversations over here and described me as "way cooler" than he is. Personally, I think that is infinitely debatable (which is a polite way of saying I think he's wrong) and would make for an interesting discussion. But maybe that's just me.

I'm also, according to the "rules" ~ because yeah, GOML! and I care oh so much about those things ~ supposed to pass this award on and then list some things that I find funny. Here's the problem with that ~ GOML! and I have very similar tastes, apparently, because he gave the award to two of the blogs I would have. Plus, someone has already given it to him. Poopies.

However! For just plain fun reads, I highly suggest (along with GOML!, Wolfgrrrl and $$)...

Daisy, over at Daisy Land who speaks to and for every single one of us who has ever had to work retail;

Lori over at This Just In who will make you laugh...right before she makes you think or cry or get furious over some injustice...and will then make you laugh again;

and Zooom over at (surprisingly enough) Zoom, who sees life in such an amazing way and shares it so well that you will be crying from laughing so hard.

Unfortunately, you will have to link over there because my computer and I are still arguing about links within a post. The computer continues to win. *sigh*

And now, some things I find funny. Well...I'm very dry. There's more I don't find funny than I do. And my sense of humor is hard to explain. (Crow Mother and I agree on the fact that we are Niles and Frasier Crane from the television show Frasier ~ but disagree about who gets to be Niles because he's the cool one. Yeah...obscure humor...) So rather than try to explain, perhaps I will just leave you with these:

Q: How does a surrealist change a light bulb?
A: A fish.

Q: Why did the girl fall off the swing?
A: Because she was dead.

Knock knock.
Who's There?
George.
George Who?
George Washington, don't you know me?

Q: What's green, fuzzy, has four legs and will kill you if it falls out of a tree and lands on your head?
A: A pool table.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Thomas.
Thomas Who?
Thomas Jefferson, was George Washington just here?

Yep. I'm sitting here chuckling at my own jokes. See why I'm not so sure I'm cooler than GOML!?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

20 comments:

Dennis R. Upkins said...

Hehehehehehe.

Congrats on the reward. Very well deserved.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Congrats, and thank you! Here are the only 3 jokes I can ever remember:

What's the difference between boogers and broccoli?

Kids won't eat broccoli

[Shall I go on?]

What do men and linoleum have in common?

If you lay 'em right, you can walk all over 'em for 20 years.

[Why do I retain these things? I don't know]

And last...this one really is funny, but you have to say it outloud...it doesn't work "on paper"

What do you call a fish with no eyes?

Fsh

[GET IT?!!]

Cam Pike said...

If finding those jokes funny and laughing at them while sitting at home in front of your computer is a sign of being uncool, what is laughing out loud to them while at work in your cube?

...wait, don't answer that...

Nemeria said...

Ooohh! Congrats! Well deserved.

And here are a few of my favorites:

Q: What do you call Santa's Helpers?
A: Subordinate clauses

Q: What do you call cheese that isn't yours?
A: Nacho Cheese

Q: How do crazy people go through a forest?
A: They take the psycho path.

Bwa ha ha ha.

(And don't worry, Cam, I'm in a cube, too. Sigh)

Crow Mother said...

OOOOO!!! A present and funny jokes, too!!!

Ok, so here I sit, laughing my butt off, knowing all the jokes that are coming by heart. I would only embarrass myself if I made any reference to the infinite variation on the George Washington / Thomas Jefferson joke we've howled senselessly about over the years. *sigh* Such fond memories!

And I have to share the penultimate Niles - Frasier interchange that will illustrate your point, dear Pobble.

Frasier walks into their coffee shop where Niles is already seated. He sulks up to the barista - "A vanilla LAHT, please."

Niles: Frasier! Comfort food?!? Are you all right?

Frasier: (Collapses into his chair) Niles, do you consider me - *elitist*?

Niles: (deeply concerned) Well, of COURSE I do! You needn't be concerned about that...

Frasier: No, no... not in the good way.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Ok, so here are the only (clean) jokes I can add to the list:

A duck walks into a bar. Says "Ow."
(A Pobble Original, if I'm not mistaken)

(Say this one out loud)
Knock-knock.
Who's there?
I'm a pile up.
I'm a pile up who?
Don't be so hard on yourself!
(Thank you, Captain Underpants!)

Finally (also better told out loud)
Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Interrupting cow.
Interrupting c-
MOOOOOOOOOO!!

(and if you're not sure of the difference between boogers and broccoli, remind me never to send you to the store for broccoli!!) ;)

BostonPobble said...

Dennis R. ~ Glad you got a giggle out of these. And thanks.

GNightGirl ~ Of course! :) And the fish with no eyes has just become a new favorite. That's fucking hysterical! Personally, I think it works beautifully on paper.

Cam Pike ~ It means you're someone's evil twin. >:)

Nemeria ~ Subordinate clauses. Nacho cheese. *snort* Yeah, those are as good as the fish with no eyes.

Crow ~ Knock knock. Who's there? Bat... :)

kimber said...

Congrats on your richly deserved award, and thank you, too, for your kind words of praise.

And for the jokes! A-hahahahaha! I will be telling that pool table one to S as soon as I get him on the phone. :D

Daisy Girl said...

Thanks so much! I am reading on my lunch on one of those lovely crazy days, and it means a lot to me!

Anonymous said...

because she was dead....omg I'm still laughing! And the pool table killed me too!!!!

BostonPobble said...

Wolfgrrrl ~ Glad you like the pool table joke. It's a classic. :)

Daisy Girl ~ You're most welcome. As I said, it's not much but you definitely deserve it.

Jersey Girl ~ The conversation went something like this...
Crow Mother: Do I know Jersey Girl?
Pobble: Nope.
Crow Mother: Well I love her. She gets it.
Pobble: Oh yeah, she does and we do.
Just so you know. ;)

CrackerLilo said...

You've got another present! Come on over to pick it up!

Love the jokes. I only remember dirty ones.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm honored...truly.

Love you!!

BostonPobble said...

Cracker Lilo ~ Well for goodness sake, feel free to leave the dirty ones. This isn't exactly a PG blog.

Jersey Girl ~ Ain't nothing but the truth. {{{hug}}}

traci said...

Ok, I'm just waking up this morning and if anyone else was still here sleeping, I would have woken them the hell up with my laughing! I have the perfect person for the pool table joke today! heh...

Anonymous said...

the duck said "ow"....classic!!

Jaded said...

I must tell you that the hub is now laughing at the dead girl, pool table and duck...I am still amused!!

CrackerLilo said...

This is one I first heard in high school and have told a lot since. Apparently knowing that I'm a bi woman who moved to NYC from Florida adds something to it.

Two old Florida Cracker ladies, Ethel and Myrtle, are talking on Myrtle's front porch. Ethel just got back from a trip to New York City, and Myrtle's dying to hear details.
Ethel begins: "They got these men, who kiss the private parts of other men."
"What are those called?" Myrtle asks.
"Those are called gays. And they got these women up there, who kiss the private parts of other women!"
"And what are those called?"
"They're called lesbians. And *then*, there are these men, who kiss the private parts of women!"
"And what are *those* called?"
Ethel pauses to think. "I still don't know, but after I caught my breath, I called one of 'em 'Precious'!"

Hermes said...

Heya. Nicely done. I have no jokes at all so... ya, you are way cooler.

ZooooM said...

OMGoodness. Thanks for the shout out. I don't belong in any category other than "Only if you've got nothing better to do".

Insecure? That's the frosting on every meal I eat. We are what we eat, yes?

I totally missed your blog return too, which is typical of me. I'm just glad you are back.

And I have no jokes.

BostonPobble said...

Traci ~ Hope the pool table went over well!

Jersey Girl ~ I've always been a smartass, what can I say?

Jaded ~ Ah, glad he enjoyed them!

CrackerLilo ~ ROLFMAO TTG you came back and added this!

GOML! ~ I've been hoping you would see this. And the cooler than you debate is still open. So there. Nyah.

Zooom ~ Please. You So deserve to be in this category! Who else understands dumpster furniture and shocking toasters better?