Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New Job, New People, New Issues

  • Wow, pilots like to talk. The there I was story comes easily and often. The old guard at Carson wasn't like that. They were more been there, done that, don't really want to talk about it kind of guys. These guys at the new company? Wow...they like to talk. So we listen and we nod and we make impressed noises. And I think about the stories I have been told by the stoic men I met at the beginning and manage not to be too smug. At least on the outside.
  • This is not Lithus's new company. It easily could've been. This is what he will be doing come fall, after fire season is over. The riggers have to get to the oil rigs somehow, as do their groceries and their gear. I'm not the least bit worried about Lithus. Fire fighting has a higher "exposure rate", as he would put it. It still makes me sad. It's a wakeup call. They weren't my friends. They could be this time next year. And they were someone's friends.
  • The new company offers employees what's known as crew housing. The pilots, the mechanics, and anyone else involved in the gig stays in housing. A townhouse, a large apartment, a duplex, a trailer, wherever. Everybody gets their own room, with shared public spaces. It's...different. Not uncomfortable, really. But not comfortable, either. Never thought I would miss the flophouse from Medford last summer.
  • Meeting all these new people, even liking all the new people I'm meeting...I miss you, Roarke. I think Lithus does, too.
Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

dondon009 said...

OMG... I have to get back on track, dammit!

I am missing too much here and missing you!

I'm not sure how I feel about you and Palin in the same state.... Oh the thought.

I began reading your book and had to put it down because it's a book I can't put down..... so hoping to spend Saturday reading from cover to cover. I love what I've read.....

And... I love you!

Hermes said...

Our signed copy has arrived. Thank you! It looks like Canada Customs opened it and inspected. it. Looking for something I'd wager. But it made it.
I can't wait to read what your experiences will bring you. Imagine the stories, the characters, the landscape.
Coffee. Maybe outside from a fire driven kettle. Someday.

CrackerLilo said...

From what I know about you, those chatty pilots and that gods-awful crew housing are probably already inspiring your next book, or maybe the one after that.

The oil rig explosion made me sick when I saw it. I'll be thinking lots of good thoughts toward Lithus, and you, too.

And sorry, but...Dondon009, when the *hell* did you get back to Blogger?!?!

BostonPobble said...

Don ~ Thank you. I can't wait to hear what you have to say after Saturday.

GOML ~ Someday.

Cracker Lilo ~ We'll take the good thoughts, with gratitude. As for Dondon, I know, right? AND not only is he back, but you're even still linked. ;)

Neo_Prodigy said...

Keeping you an Lithus in my thoughts and prayers as well.

nRT said...

Friends are a precious gifts, trust no one until they have earned your trust and respect.
go with trust no one (except Lithus) and be cautious with the rest of the co workers.
Best to you and Lithus

2 Dollar Productions said...

Glad to hear you're hearing stories Pobble as some piece of them have to be fodder for down the line, right? Maybe, maybe not. But the living arrangement sounds like it might take a bit of getting used to. I like my space and the freedom to do my own thing without worrying about seeing others, but that's just me. :)

And I feel the same way about the mail as you do, and it's too bad they are running such a ridiculous deficeit (sp?), but who isn't these days?