Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Home, Sweet Home

As I mentioned yesterday, we are home for the holidays this year. I also mentioned we had moved. Living in the Quarter was great. It really was. It was also, as my mother pointed out, an experience, and sometimes you don't want an experience. Sometimes, you just want to live your life. So very true.

Now, we live in the CBD. We are still downtown. It is still cool. If anything, it's almost cooler. Because it is everything you want and expect from New Orleans, specifically, and everything you want and expect from a city life, generally. Steel, marble, concrete and glass. God, I love a city life.

The building is professionally run. There's a doorman. There's a maintenance team. There's a cleaning crew. There are elevators that are clean and work. There are enough outlets. The lightswitches are all in the right places. The kitchen, while small, is laid out perfectly. We even have our own washer-dryer. An oven. It's amazing the things I will never again take for granted.

For the first time since we hit the road, I have unpacked all my clothes. Everything is out of suitcases. All the sweaters and jackets are out of boxes. I can't wear them down here, because it never gets that cold, but dammit, they are on shelves, off the floor. Lithus is blessedly patient, because so far, every single morning, I have gotten out of the shower and announced that I was going into the closet to decide on an outfit to wear today, and remind him that I can do that because I am unpacked. Yeah...it's kind of a big deal after four years.

Not all the boxes are unpacked yet, and it already feels like home. Home in a way nowhere has since Worcester, for those of you who have been with me that long. Only here, I've got Lithus with me, too, which makes it even better.

Plus, there's this...

Palm trees to the left

Palm trees to the right

And the nighttime view out the window.

Finally, we are still surrounded by hotels, and always have a sleeper sofa, so come visit.

Those are happy to home Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.


0 comments: