Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

No, Actually, It's Not

I've taken a really cool new job. It's a writing gig, so I am getting paid to do exactly what I want ~ write. What will happen with the fiction? I don't know, honestly. Right now, it's taking a back seat to the ad copy stuff. We'll see where it goes.

Meanwhile, my new boss is heading off on vacation. In her last email to me today before being gone for a week and a half assures me that, while she will be out of the office, she will still be checking emails. That is, after all, "the world we live in now."

Um...no. While I recognize that boundaries have never been respected, I still maintain they are actually good for us. We are better at what we do ~ from CEO-ing, to mom-ing, to writing, to floor mopping, to whatever-ing ~ when we actually and for real take care of ourselves.

We can stay connected at all times. We can stay at work when we're at the beach. We can deal with our colleagues when we're supposed to be with our kids. That doesn't mean we should.

A friend of ours recently gave us three hours at a dinner. He didn't check his phone once. It seems like a small thing, but it's not. Not when we live in a world where people think you are supposed to be connected at all times, even on vacation, let alone at dinner with friends.

At some point this weekend, this week, leave your phone at home for an evening. Don't check your email, especially your work email. Some people may freak out at the thought of disconnecting. Maybe we should all consider it reconnecting, instead.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

MikeC said...

Please tell this to my new manager...

BostonPobble said...

Mike ~ I'd be happy to, but somehow I think it would be more meaningful coming from you.

neo-prodigy said...

You and I were just having this conversation about my decision to be online for a limited time on weekends.

BostonPobble said...

Neo-Prodigy ~ Yep. You gotta do what you gotta do.