Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Not Screaming. Not Ranting.

In fifty or one hundred years, I truly believe historians will look back on this time and teach about the dark age we brought in somewhere between 2008 and 2013. Living in it, I cannot point to the exact moment, nor can I identify the tipping point ~ although it won't surprise if those historians declare it to be 2013. The point where we gathered so much speed that we passed beyond the point of no return and simply had to careen through to the bitter, ugly end.

And, as I do not know the exact tipping point, I do not know when or how that bitter, ugly end will come. Bang-ish, or whimper-ish. No idea. I hope I live to see it. I hope because I want to see us come to our senses, but also, because I don't want it to be that long a dark time.

This country has never fulfilled its promise. All men have never been equal. And all women? Don't even try. But we have had sane-r times. We have moved forward, even as some would try to prevent it.

We have also had darker times. It saddens me that we are moving into one again. I just don't know how else to read the cards.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Mrs. Pike said...

More and more, reminds me of the fall of Rome...

Ian Lidster said...

Some powerful thoughts, dear BP. I harbor many of the same feelings and quite frankly I weep a bit for the very young. I look at babies and toddlers and think, what's it fucking going to be like for you? Canada is not really much different from the US in this regard,though we smugly like to think we are. And while we don't have the sad legacy of slavery social ills abound and always have.

AppsRus said...

Look up the book "The Fourth Turning"

BostonPobble said...

Mrs. Pike ~ Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Damn...

Ian ~ I want Canada to be better than this. Is it okay if I live in my delusion a bit longer?

AppSRus ~ Will do. Thanks. I always get excited when there's a book recommendation from you.