Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pssstt...

Remember when I said that I wasn't done talking, but I would stop for the moment? Well, white women, here's one of the moments when I start talking again. It's Halloween. So can we get something straight?

NO BLACKFACE. Period. No brown or yellow face, either.

If you want to dress up as Storm or Mulan, fine. Do it. Just leave your face the color it is.

I don't care how cool you are, how down you are, how your college roommate didn't mind (partly because I bet she did, but hey, maybe I'm wrong), how you just wanted to honor the character, or how you didn't mean to be offensive. I have no doubt you didn't wake up thinking "How can I piss a whole bunch of people off and look like an ass today? I know ~ Blackface!" I get your intent wasn't to be an asshole. Guess what, though?

You are about to be an ass. It's not rocket science. It's not "reverse racism." It's not in good fun (and yes, people of color can, as a general rule, take a joke). It's you ~ being an ass. So, how about we just don't do it?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: