Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Lucky

The concept of being lucky has come up a couple times in my world, recently. From an online thing, to a friend telling me how lucky Lithus and I are in our lives, to a young person telling us how unlucky he is, there's been a lot about luck. Are you surprised to know I have an opinion on this?

First, let me start with the fact that I am a damn lucky woman. I have had things fall into my lap that other people cannot even imagine. I'm not even talking about the luck that had me born white, upper-middle class, to educated parents, in the United States ~ because that was entirely luck. That's privilege, plain and simple. I'm talking about the luck of being in the right place at the right time. Of meeting the right person at the right time. Of hearing the right statement at the right time. That kind of luck. Micro-luck, rather than macro-luck, so to speak. My entire writing career was built on micro-luck ~ being in the right place at the right time (and being a smoker, too, but we try not to think about that distressing aspect of it all). Lithus is lucky. He knows it, too. He has had micro-luck when he needed it. We are both deeply grateful for the opportunities we've had walk through our doors.

That being said...I don't just believe in luck. Luck has nothing to do with being able to take advantage when an opportunity (luckily) arrives. That's all about hard work and preparation. That's about making choices that will serve you later. That's about being willing to pay dues and put in your time so that when someone opens a door for you, you are ready ~ right then ~ to walk through it. When FE asked if I had a manuscript she could read, my answer was a resounding YES. It wasn't that I might get something written down eventually. Or even that I was working on something. It was YES. And the ball started to roll.

Lithus is frequently asked to fly jobs that are lucrative, or in exotic locations, or both. We're lucky when those opportunities come. But those opportunities come because he has worked hard to build the reputation that makes people offer him those opportunities. And when they are offered, he doesn't hem and haw; he doesn't stare blankly. He says yes. Which gets him his next offer.

Lithus and I don't live a relatively easy life just because we are lucky. Yes, macro-luck plays into it hugely. But being able to live wherever we want? That's not luck. Damn hard work got us the jobs we have that allow us to live wherever we want. We aren't "lucky enough" to get to go to Emeril's restaurants or see live theatre. We make the financial choices that allow us to dine at Emeril's and attend live performances.

It's easy to look at people and think about easy they have it. How lucky they are. But before anyone gets too jealous, take a step back. Are they lucky, or are they ready? Then decide which you're willing to be.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: