Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

But...But...But... (Amended)

NBC News and MSNBC
updated 2 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Tim Russert, NBC News’ Washington bureau chief and the moderator of “Meet the Press,” died Friday, NBC News said. He was 58.

No further details were immediately available.

Russert, the recipient of 48 honorary doctorates, took over the helm of “Meet the Press” in December 1991. Now in its 60th year, “Meet the Press” is the longest-running program in the history of television.

In 2008, Time Magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world.



Thanks for everything, Tim.


*sniff*

Those are sad Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.



By now you know but still...


NBC News and MSNBC
updated 2 hours, 34 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Tim Russert, NBC News’ Washington bureau chief and the moderator of “Meet the Press,” died Friday after suffering a heart attack at the bureau. He was 58.

Russert was recording voiceovers for Sunday’s “Meet the Press” broadcast when he collapsed. He was rushed to Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, where resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful.

Russert’s physician, Michael Newman, said cholesterol plaque ruptured in an artery, causing sudden coronary thrombosis.

Russert had earlier been diagnosed with asymptomatic coronary artery disease, but it was well-controlled with medication and exercise, and he had performed well on a stress test in late April, Newman said. An autopsy revealed that he also had an enlarged heart, Newman said.

Russert’s death left his colleagues devastated.



And not just his colleagues. Still very sad here, too. But...but...but...

I don't want Tim Russert to be dead. I guess I don't understand why we have to go through this momentous election without his wisdom and sheer enthusiasm to see us through it. I guess I don't want to have to trust someone else. I guess I don't want his voice to only be reruns. And I guess I don't quite understand why I have wept all day. Why as I write this, I have tears running down my cheeks. But I know his death has thrown me in a way Brokaw's or Williams' or Gibson's wouldn't have, in a way that makes no sense and isn't logical. It's difficult for me to be this thrown "for no reason." It's even more difficult for me to admit to being this thrown "for no reason." But I am. So be it.


*sniff*



7 comments:

ZooooM said...

I'M SO TOTALLY SHOCKED!! I really liked him, too. I saw the news while fiddling with Twitter and actually logged out and checked CNN to be sure it wasn't a prank by some (sick) person.

Very sad news indeed.

CrackerLilo said...

Thought of you as soon as I heard about this. I remembered you posting something about how Tony Stewart "had that Tim Russert thing going on" in my blog. I know how much you admired him.

Election '08 will be *so* much poorer without him.

christine mtm said...

i jut heard and couldn't believe it! what the heck happened?

Nemeria said...

Like Crackerlilo said - I thought of you, too, as soon as I heard. It's so shocking and awful.

Jaded said...

I also thought of you as I heard this news. I've been out of the loop lately because of the kiddo's dance recital. and I've been high on spray glitter fumes. But I knew you'd be crushed by this news... as are many of us.

xoxox

BostonPobble said...

Zoooom ~ I first heard it on a radio station with DJs who are known for their pranks so double-checked as well. Wish they'd been joking.

CrackerLilo ~ Thanks. I'm touched. And I, too, won't enjoy this election as much.

Lovely Cats ~ *sigh*

Nemeria and Jaded ~ It is very special to me that you, along with CrackerLilo, thought of me and stopped by. Thanks.

akakarma said...

It's always a shock when a person who did not seem to add any toxic waste to the world is snuffed out! One of the good guys.... I'm with you pobble.