Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pissed, Back Atcha

Now, I am aware that I live under a rock. My work keeps me isolated, in that I spend hours in my office, in front of my computer, by myself. My new location keeps me somewhat isolated, in that I don't yet have many friends out here with whom to shoot the shit. I do, however, pop my head up, not un-meerkat-like, to look around every now and then.

During a recent meerkat moment, I learned that many feminists are pissed at those of us who are female, feminists and voted for Barack Obama. I didn't just read this on one website. I didn't just hear this on one news program. This is, apparently, pretty widespread pissage. They say we dropped the ball. They say we let them down. They say we had the opportunity and we blew it.

Generally speaking, I do not respond to anger directed at me with anger directed back. I've always found that particular response a nasty form of deflection (albeit an effective one when used properly ~ which is probably why so many people use it) and hugely disrespectful. However, in this instance...

What The Fuck Are You Pissed At Us For?????????????

Did you listen to what Hillary Clinton was saying? Or did you do exactly what generation upon generation of men have done since the country began and pay attention only to her gender? Do you have such little faith that maybe, just maybe, we listened to you as we were growing up and took to heart the fact that we should vote for the person, not the gender? Do you have so little faith in yourselves and your ability to teach us this valuable lesson?

You tell me I've dropped the ball by nominating Barack Obama ~ a man whose policies, ideas and ideals are the ones that resonate with me, the ones I believe can move my country and my gender forward ~ instead of Hillary Clinton ~ a woman whose policies, ideas and ideals are very similar to Obama's and yet tactics and motives repulse and scare me. And yet you stand there and say you are going to vote for a man who has the potential and the ability to, at best, stagnate your cause and, at worst, set it back a generation and you are going to do this in solidarity with me? Oh fuck that.

Once again, you have to choose between two male presidential candidates. Guess what? So do I. And believe it or not, I didn't want to. Any more than you did. I wanted with all my heart to be able to cast a vote for a female president. I wept when Clinton announced her candidacy because it was going to happen and not just in my lifetime but while I was a young-ish woman. I was going to get to share this with my nieces and their grandmothers. At the prime of my life, I was going to get to watch my country which I love so much come into the prime of its. Instead, she lost me. I was hers to lose and she did it. And she did it because I listened to you growing up. Because I listened when you taught me that the best person should get the job. That gender shouldn't and doesn't matter.

Now you tell me that the best person should get the job...unless the best person is male? Or that gender shouldn't matter...unless the gender is male? And now, you strong, powerful women, whom I have always admired, whom I have always respected and aspired to emulate, now you tell me that it was all posturing?

Because if you do as you threaten, if you do indeed vote for McCain instead of Barack Obama, everything you've taught, fought and stood for is indeed just posturing. We can disagree on who would've been better for our cause, Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. But one thing is obvious, by any standard you taught us: McCain is bad for our cause; Barack Obama is good for it. How dare you drop the ball.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

18 comments:

Cam Pike said...

Bravo, Pobble! Bravo.

Crow Mother said...

Oh Dear God/dess. You are THAT good, aren't you. So have you sent this REALLY NECESSARY commentary to the authors of the articles you read? Thank you, thank you for speaking for those of us who learned these necessary things, for calling hypocrisy what it is when you find it, and for being courageous and balls-on RIGHT in your outcry. Call me biased if you must, but I hope I'd be writing this to anyone who said what you've just said. I couldn't be more proud.

I love you.
Crow

CrackerLilo said...

Thank you. I echo Crow Mother--please do something to make the people who need to see this, see this. I'm tired of the "not a real feminist" nonsense, too. I've heard it a lot, too. HRC sets a historical precedent that I value, but it wasn't enough for me.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I was going to go with BRAVO! also. Standing O from Champaign, IL.

Graziella said...

What about the feminists that really believed in Clinton and her campaign because of who she is and represents, not just because she's a woman candidate?

I must applaud your closing paragraph though.

Crow Mother said...

Dear Graziella,

That's exactly our dear Pobble's point... her anger is directed at those who insist that she should have supported Clinton for the *sole* reason that Clinton's a woman, or else Pobble doesn't get to wear the badge of Feminist. Feminists, as I have always understood our cause, are empowered to think, speak, act and be according to our own opinions and beliefs, not just what someone else (men or even other feminists) tell us to. (Can you tell I haven't anything better to do today than sit at my computer??) hehehe!

akakarma said...

Nobody tells me how to think, vote or who my friends are. I consider that feminist. If Hillary didn't think so much like the worst parts of men I would've voted for her!

BostonPobble said...

Graziella ~ I have no problem with women who supported Hillary Clinton. I have a problem with the women who supported Clinton and are angry at me for not having done so. The mindset that says I am not a *true* feminist because I didn't support her, that says I have let my gender and my cause down because I didn't support her. My status as "feminist" isn't strengthened because I voted against her. It is, however, NOT weakened because I voted against her. And, I believe, that any woman who votes for McCain instead of Obama simply because her candidate didn't win *is* undeserving of her claim to be a feminist. Those are my points.

Crow ~ Thanks. Nicely put.

Akakarma ~ That is my definition of feminist as well. Also nicely put.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I knew it'd happen...knew that there would be hard core pissed offness occurring but you know what? You're right...who cares as long as it's the right -person-...the right human being for the job?

Dennis R. Upkins said...

Boston Pobble,

I can't even formulate into words how brilliant this post was.

I'll probably be posting this on my blog in the very near future.

A couple of things:

1. There is a huge difference between feminists and feminazis. Feminists are strong intelligent women like you who understand the true definition of equality and men like me who are down for the female cause. Feminazis are these failures who are threatening to vote for McCain.

2. By the same logic of these feminazis, then I sold out the black cause when I didn't vote for Alan Keyes when he ran for president.

3. If these feminazis are willing to vote for McCain (uber Republican himself) over Obama whose policies coincide with the feminist cause, then my question is this. What are they really angry over. That man won out or that a black man won out?

BostonPobble said...

Dreamer ~ Yes, the right person for the job. Yay you.

Dennis Upkins ~ Thank you. That means a great deal coming from you. And I too have to wonder about the race issue. There are so many issues underlying this one issue...

christine mtm said...

of course you are brilliant!

and you said exactly what i believe, which is why i voted the way that i did... because even though my mom and i voted differently she taught me to look beyond gender, race, and anything else that makes us different.

Anonymous said...

While I could write at length about how much I agree with every word you wrote, I will say this to be brief...

farkin'-A!! :-D

I could not agree with you more!

Anonymous said...

Voting based only on gender is the same as voting based only on which party you belong to. Even the pookster will vote democrat if he thinks that candidate is better suited to the position. (shocks me too sometimes) We are voting for who we think can get this country back on track not for who sits down to take a pee. I also find it frustrating as a parent of an impressionable pre-teen. I had to explain to her that although it was a good thing that "a girl" was running for president that did not mean that "girls" had to vote for her. I must have done a decent enough job of explaining how you determine who you vote for because the pookster didn't intervene in any of the discussions (surprised face). He almost did when she called me a traitor in the beginning of the first discussion (that was hard to recover from) but I think I got the message across. It does make me wonder/worry though about what is going on in school and how the teachers are handling these things.

2 Dollar Productions said...

OK. Maybe this isolation is helping you because this was an excellent argument. I've read many articles saying the same things you mentioned, and yr. thoughts lined up very closely with mine up and down the line. Obviously, I'm coming at this from a male perspective, but again, this is one of the most reasonable positions I've seen around the subject in awhile.

Anonymous said...

I too would have LOVED to be able to have cast a vote for Hillary, but I too could not. Someone made the comment that I had it made either way because I am black and a woman I was in a win/win situation. I told them it was not the fact the Obama was black that I voted for him it was because he is the RIGHT black man to vote for (other black men have run and failed). If Hillary had been the RIGHT woman to vote for I would have been estatic to vote for her! It is not what they are but WHO they are that is important.
-the Divine M

Krystal said...

And now the long hidden truth comes out, the people behind the "Women's Movement" aren't for all women, only those that do what THEY want.

I've known this for a long while. How? Because I've been told by many women involved in the movement that I am wasting my life and my talents and my intellegence by choosing to stay home and raise my children. I'm told that because I've willingly chosen to make my husband the head of our family, I'm somehow a traitor to women.

The idea of the movement being for women to have freedom to choose and be who they want to be and to choose what makes them happy is hogwash.

BostonPobble said...

Lovely Cats ~ Thanks. And just to be absolutely clear, I have no problem with women who voted for Clinton. I only have a problem with those who are now angry at me for not doing so because it makes me "less of a feminist."

Vanyel ~ Thanks much, friend!

Pharmyard ~ Sounds as if you handled the "girl issue" beautifully, as I knew you would. ;) And yes, I too wonder about what she's getting at school.

$$ ~ You know, I don't believe that your perspective being male makes it any less valid. One of the staunchest, strongest, purest feminists I have ever known was a man. Chime in any time (even if you don't agree with me.) ;)

The Divine M ~ Amen and Blessed be! What I do find interesting is that you were supposed to be more "torn" than I because you "had to choose" between a black person and a woman. As if the issues were even more irrelevant to you than they were to me.

Krystal ~ This is has been a frustration of mine for a while. True feminism is about being able to make Whatever Choice We Want. We do not *have* to be homemakers ~ and we *can* be homemakers. We *can* be senators ~ and we do not *have* to be. Yet somewhere along the line, that was lost to so many people and women like you and many of my other friends are indeed considered less than or traitors somehow because you are exercising your right to choose. It pisses me off to put it bluntly. (Because you and I always hold back, afterall.) :)