Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Facebook

I have a professional Facebook account, but do not have a personal one. You cannot find the Boston Pobble anywhere on FB (unless it's in someone else's photo album). And not many of my personal friends are friends on FB. It's complicated to keep the two lives separate. Hell, I even un-friended my mother and Crow, in an attempt to keep the two worlds separate.

My attitude about it is, if I want to keep in touch with you, I have. If I want you to know about me, you do. If we don't know how to reach each other outside of FB, odds are good we don't have that much to talk about anyway.

All that being said, looking through friends' FB friends list is...interesting. Friends from years (years) ago, who used to mean so much. Ex-boyfriends. The kid I had such a huge crush on in 6th grade (has turned out very handsome in his suspenders and round-rimmed glasses). Kenike to my Rizzo from Grease. The kid I used to get into fights with almost every freaking day on the school bus (turned out quite handsome and appears to actually be a functioning member of society ~ a fact that doesn't really surprise me but still...) The men and women who helped raise me. Mentors, friends, enemies. Several boys I sent away, with good riddance. The one who got away. All of us, older, wiser, grown up.

It's been a fun trip down memory lane. Don't need to poke any of them or send any of them friend requests. It's why I don't have a personal account. And yet... most memories made me smile, and that's worth a whole lot.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

MikeC said...

After once vowing I would never be on Facebook, I am now, as your mother can attest, very active there. Hooked, I suppose. But what a rich variety of friends I have there. Friends from high school, friends from college, relatives of my generation, younger relatives, much older relatives, many socially active Episcopal clergy, and other writers and activists in the realm of religion and social justice. Former colleagues from work, as well - though I don't friend current work colleagues on Facebook: that's what's LinkedIn is for. It really is a whole new realm of information, ideas, and connection.

My reading tastes are not such that I would become a fan of Pauline, but if the Pobble ever changes her mind and joins Facebook, please make sure that I among the first to whom you send a friend request (after your mother and Crow, of course).

Hermes said...

Next you'll be tweeting. Don't feel bad about it, its part of the marketing world now. I refuse to tweet. But FB is fun. A way to share pics, videos and news only to those I choose.

Did that rhyme? Cool.

Glad you're there.

BostonPobble said...

Mike C ~ You got a deal.

GOML! ~ A day with an unintentional rhyme is a good day. And yes, Pauline twitters (tweets?) already. Marketing is marketing. Such is my professional life now. lol Glad you're there, too, though.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Lot to catch up on here as I've been out of touch from the world. :)

Was really hoping for a book signing update post, and that is very cool that it went so well. You look pretty damn happy there too. Ha. I know I would be. Great stuff.

As for Facebook, I feel the exact same way. I don't have an account for those reasons you mentioned, but yeah, I wouldn't mind checking into some past friends/enemies/acquantiances (sp?) from a distance & roll back through the memory archives. It's fun to do on occassion.

BostonPobble said...

$$ ~ Out of touch with the world is good sometimes. :) Yes, I'm glad I have friends who are on FB so that I can take a quick peek in without actually having to reconnect.