Pages

Friday, July 02, 2010

When Does Older Meet Wiser?

Both of my parents are only children. Whenever Crow and I referred to aunts or uncles, we were actually referring to great-aunt and great-uncles. Over the years, there have definitely been times that I have wished for an aunt or an uncle. I have wished for someone a little older, a little wiser, not my parent, not just a friend. Someone who could advise without having to parent, yet someone who was family, so they had to listen. Someone with just enough more life experience under their belt to have the wisdom I needed in the moment. 

For the first time in a long time, I found myself wishing for that today (because, interestingly enough, I got through this past winter without wishing for it, although it's a surprising realization). But today...yeah. Today, I could use an aunt or an uncle. Which also made me realize ~ I'm forty years old. I'm at the age where I hope My Heart would come to me at times like this in his life. I'm the one I hope the Hatchling and Hatchlette will come to eventually. And if not to me, then to Lithus. Because when you're growing up, it really helps sometimes to have someone who isn't mom or dad ~ but isn't just a friend, either.

So...what happens when you're supposed to be old enough and wise enough ~ but don't quite feel it yet? I truly don't know. I do know I thought I'd be smarter by now. Maybe that's why I needed an aunt or an uncle: to tell me that older doesn't mean as much wiser as we think it should. Fair enough. Lesson learned. Now if we could just work on this other thing...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: