Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Yes, Maybe, No

I'm always just a little amused by the question "Is Lithus flying today?" The answer is yes. Flying is his job. Some of us go to offices or churches or hospitals or schools. He goes into the air.  Every day, for twelve days in a row. Two days off and then it starts all over again.

Is he going to be home tonight? Maybe. That's really the best I can do for you. Some days, I can stretch it to probably but realistically, probably is just a more optimistic maybe. Regardless of what his schedule was when he left, this is a fluid job. New fires, new crews, more cargo...everything changes quickly. If nothing else, when your vehicle breaks down on the way home from work, you call a tow, call a friend, call a rental, something. There may be paperwork but you'll get home that same day. Lithus's vehicle breaks down on the way home from work, he's gotta wait until someone can get to him with a part and another bird.

Do you know when he'll be back? Nope. Not a clue. Even on days when the answer to "will he be home tonight?" is the ever positive "probably", I don't know when he'll be back. His duty day is from 10:00 to midnight everyday. I never lock the door until midnight. He leaves here about 09:45. Sometimes, he rolls back in about 12:00 and we have lunch and that's that. Other times, he rolls in about 23:45 and we're grateful he made it back to the ground here in Galena with those 15 minutes to spare.

Mind you, I do recognize that people ask because it means they care. They care about him, about me, about us. So I would rather answer the questions than not have them asked. Still...

Yes. Maybe. No. Every time.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Krystal said...

I completely understand. I was asked, "Did you sell the house yet?" for 3 1/2 YEARS. They asked because they cared, but GEE WIZ!

prioritybooks said...

I do understand though!

Hermes said...

Wait til you find out he's really flying to my house to play poker. We smear him with soot from the wood stove to make you think he was near fire. He's pretty good. Takes my money every time. :)

BostonPobble said...

Krystal ~ So...have you sold the house? ROFLMAO Good to see you. {{{hugs}}}

Rose ~ Yeah, I do too.

GOML! ~ The only issue I have with this is it means he gets to spend more time with you than I do and really, unfair, Sir.