Pages

Friday, July 22, 2005

10 Things I'm Addicted To

These are in no particular order. Here we go:

1. Coffee. I'm a coffee whore. My preference is hot, strong, fresh, extra light, no sugar. I will take it three days old with a cigarette put out in it. And don't even try to talk to me until I've had my first (or second) cup in the mornings.

2. Alchemy. The computer game. It's a puzzle game and I'm hooked. The Lovely Cats is the anti-christ. I know; I can hear your cries: "Not her! Not The Lovely Cats! What is the world coming to?!" I didn't know this either. She is, though. I have learned this because she is the one who has introduced me to Alchemy. Bad Cats, Bad! (thanks...)

3. Grammar. I even cringed when I wrote the title of this posting because it's supposed to be "10 Things to which I am Addicted" but that sounded too stuffy. My pet peeves are apostrophes and quotation marks. It is truly possible that the misuse of apostrophes and quotation marks is going to lead to the downfall of civilization as well know it. Okay, maybe it's not that bad but damn...

4. Smoking. Not cigarettes. I beat that addiction six months ago. And I hate to admit this one but Lord it is true. I miss being a smoker. ~ sigh ~

5. My manicures. My manicurist is a goddess. Every Thursday, I'm in her chair being pampered. What this woman can do with an hour and a jar of nail polish is amazing. And it's a damn site cheaper than therapy!

6. Hot baths (keeping in the self-care vein). Now, I'm not talking about a get-clean-and-go-about-your-day bath. I'm talking about a bath with candles and bubbles and soft music and a glass of wine and no where to go whenever it is over. Soak until you are one giant prune. Get out; slip on a slinky, silky nightie; pour more wine; and curl up with a good book. If there is anything that doing this can't make better, I haven't found it.

7. Climate control. People ask if I prefer the hot or the cold. What kind of a question is that??? I don't prefer EITHER. If pushed, I would rather have the temperature be too cold because you can always put on more clothes. When it's HOT out, you can only get so naked. But let's be honest here ~ I love air conditioning. I love my baseboard heat and fireplace. In the summer, my a.c units are set to 70. In the winter, my heat is set to 70. Anyone who tells you that you don't need a.c. in New England or heat in the South is lying to you. Ignore them. Listen to me.

8. Writing. Yep, I'm one of those lucky shmucks most people hate because I LOVE my job. I write. That's what I do. And that is TOO FUCKING COOL! In fact, I have to remind myself not to work all the time. I love to write Pobble Thoughts. I love to write letters. I love to write.

9. Linens. I know. This one is weird. But I love linens. One of these days, I'm going to buy my linens from places I don't even know exist right now. I will spend exorbitant amounts of money and talk about things like thread counts and cotton looping.

10. House plans. Yeah, I know this too. If being addicted to linens is weird, this is really weird. When I'm really stressed, I buy myself a magazine on house plans. When I want a distraction, I go online and look at house plans. When I need to clear my head, I doodle house plans. Every Christmas, Santa puts house plans in my stocking. It's kinda freaky. It's like he knows I love them or something.

There you have it. Ten things to which I am addicted (whew!). They say (and who the hell is "they" anyway?) that admitting the problem is the first step to recovery. So, here, I've shown you mine. You show me yours. Anybody else have any obscure addictions they'd like to embrace?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you (fresh, hot) coffee.

0 comments: