Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Living A Lie

Have you ever been asked to prove that you like someone? It's an interesting challenge. Think about a friend, a family member, a new acquaintance. Now, imagine that person looking at you and saying "Tell me why you like me."

I had this experience yesterday. The thing I find most interesting was that none of my answers ~ at least the ones this person actually let me get out ~ were good enough.

Now, all I can say is Thank God for My Sister! Why? I'll tell you...

Apparently, the fact that she is an amazing mom, is really getting her shit together, we share similar interests, and she can make me laugh harder than anyone, ever, doesn't mean I like her! These constitute respect and admiration ~ not liking. Who knew.

She did, apparently, and Thank God for My Sister! she set me straight. Here, I've been missing her because we're both wicked busy and live on opposite coasts, and thinking about her, and trying to find a way to get out there or have her come out here because I thought I liked her. Silly me, I could have simply sent her a Franklin Covey motivational card and been done with it.

Here, I always thought that I get to define what my feelings for another person are. For years now, I've been mistaken. The person in question gets to define what your feelings for them are. Who knew? Thank God for My Sister! so now I can just explain to people what I feel for them and let them decide if I like them or not. All these years, I've been sending out holiday gifts, chatty emails, laughing and crying with people and it was unnecessary. All I had to do was give them a clap on the shoulder and an occasional fruit basket.

My life just got a whole hell of a lot easier. Thank God for My Sister!

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you (or someone you apparently don't really like) a cup of coffee.

2 comments:

christine mtm said...

blood doesn't always make family. this from the "sister" who DOES like you.

Anonymous said...

the person who does not like you may be a tensy bit jealous.... you are living your dreams, doing a job you love. bitterness, resentment, and self loathing can make anyone's vision cloudy! the most important thing to remember here is that you are an absolutely marvelous, loving, kind, giving, generous and beautiful ( both outside and in) person. if this person chooses not to take the time to know you or at least try to understand you and not judge you because you are not like them, then it is there loss. and what a MAJOR loss it is. Kaitlyn's Mom