Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

After years and years ~ and did I say years? ~ of living alone, the babies and I both are and have...


...ROOMMATES!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ominous music swells in the background and the screaming commences)

And life is very, very different. Now, I knew it would be very different when I made this decision yet I guess I was naive. See, while I was expecting very different, I wasn't quite expecting very, very different.

Family Dinners. WTF are those? Dinner is a bowl of cereal or popcorn in front of the computer. If I really feel like cooking, there's always frozen pizza or spaghetti (because cooking units must be activated so this counts as cooking.) Not any longer. Now, there are meals. With utensils. And people sitting around the table. Who talk to each other.

Laundry. Is scheduled. My days are Tuesdays and Saturdays. That whole leaving-clothes-in-the-drier-until-I-need-that-shirt thing I do? Not anymore. Because Wednesdays and Sundays belong to someone else.

Shower Wars. I share a bathroom with someone tall. He shares a bathroom with someone short. The shower head moves daily.

Flirtatious, Sexy Calls with Lithus. A thing of the past. Because it's very difficult to get into or stay in a flirtatious, sexy mood when there is always the possibility the door will be opened, the call "Maaaaaaaaaame! Where aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrre yoooooooooooou???????" will sound or aforementioned family dinner will be served a little early.

Buying A Special Treat for Oneself. Aw hell no. Once it goes in the kitchen, it's fair game. Give it up and call it a donation to the cause. Consider yourself lucky if it lasts two days in a row.

T.V. I have almost no say in what is on, let alone if it's on. Why else would I know that Wonder Pets makes me cry?

Quiet Time to Write. Not when the door gets opened, the dogs get their tails pulled, the computer is in shared space in the kitchen, you have no say over if the t.v. is on and everyone is awake between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:30 p.m.

Privacy. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



But you know what else?



My coffee is always made when I get up in the mornings, eventhough I'm the only one in the house who drinks it. There's someone to give me a ride to the garage for the Pobble Mobile's oil change ~ and take me back again when it's done. When I want to hit a coffeeshop, I don't have to call around and hope for someone to be free. Friday nights are game nights. There's someone to come sit out on the porch and chat or just look up at the stars with me. I don't have to run errands alone any longer. I'm not the only caring for and loving Lionel and Daisy. There are hugs and laughter and kisses on the head. Someone always asks me about my day. And every single time, there are people who are happy to see me.

That top list doesn't seem so important, does it?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

9 comments:

Graziella said...

The joys of getting used to life with others. :)

Glad there are perks too.

Love you, miss you, looking forward to being within driving distance of you...

BostonPobble said...

Graziella ~More than just perks. :) And driving distance of you...can't even think about it.

kimber said...

I really loved my roommates at 3424 W41st Ave, and I miss them. So what, if the potatoes went missing from my cupboard in the kitchen, and my roommate suddenly had a plate of chips for his supper? So what, if all the actors would have their end-of-run party in our living room, and that party would go for three long days?

I loved sitting in our sweat lodge in the back yard, build of an old bedframe and cedar boughs. I loved the snowy walks through the nearby golf course. I loved the ghost in the basement, the creepy root cellar, the porch that was rotting off the house, and most of all, the nights of laughing and heavy drinking and comraderie....

I think I need to phone my old roommates.

2 Dollar Productions said...

I like how you rallied at the bottom because your first list seemed pretty legitimite to me. Ha.

At the very least, good luck with being able to close off your writing as you might have to make a special rule to fence yourself in - make sure to take your special grocery purchases with you.

Casdok said...

I liked the first list to!

christine mtm said...

which all means you have another talent: adaptability! makes it easier when you care about the people you are living with. so happy you are finding the positives outweigh the rest.

Hermes said...

The food issue is totally dealable. It just takes consistent behaviour management techniques. Apply a sever consequence whenever somebody eats your peach cobbler. Sugar uses massive disapproval when her treats go missing and I have to admit, I leave her quinces alone!

BostonPobble said...

Wolfgrrrl ~ Those are great roommates. Hope you made the call!

$$ ~ We are definitely working on finding me quiet time and space! Thanks for understanding so well.

Casdok ~ Yeah, that first part of the list was legitimate, too. ;)

The Lovely Cats ~ Can you say Amen? I know you can.

GOML! ~ Severe consequences...hmmm...I can probably pull that one off, too!

Anonymous said...

Ok, where have I been? Who are you living with? heh