Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

Ah, the Democrats

Last night, I watched my first debate of the season (yeah, I'm behind the times ~ I had really wanted to see the dems debate on Logo but missed it. poopies) and it happened to be the democrats.

How much would I love to see a world where Dennis Kuchnick (I'm not even sure I'm spelling his name correctly) could actually be elected president. "You voted against the Patriot Act immediately after 9/11." "Yes, because I read it." Beautiful!

Joseph Biden would have made a pretty good president back in the 80s when he made a pretty legitimate run for the nomination ~ so long as he knew then what he knows now. I was young enough that I don't remember if he did or not.

My favorite, John Edwards, lost some points with me because of the nasty asides and the "gotchas" directed at Hilary Clinton. Now, I don't mind talking about factual inconsistencies of another candidate and don't consider that mudslinging. But there were three times he spoke that I put my head in my hands and groaned at the unncessariness of his statement/"joke."

I still feel about Hilary Clinton the way I did prior to the debate. I don't like her inconsistencies. I don't care for her foreign policy. I am resigned to the thought that we will have her as a president. And I do think she presented really really well last night.

Everything I've heard Barack Obama say has been Absolutely Consistent and I really appreciate that. The only other candidate I feel has been that consistent is Edwards ~ and Obama didn't make the nasty asides. Points to him!

Sadly, I cannot remember anything about Christopher Dodd or Bill Richardson. At all. Nothing. Except that they were there. Which almost tells me more about them than anything they could have said.

As always, I welcome respectful comments and disagreements in my comments section or email inbox. I do want to know what you think...

Now, bring on the republicans and let's see what they have to say to me.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

12 comments:

ZooooM said...

I have nothing intelligent to say about politics. Wish I did. All I can say here is that while at the gym, the CNN had the debates going. I was listening to my ipod, but thought to myself "Hillary really looks pissy tonight."

Graziella said...

Yay for Kisinich!!!! Being in the fantasy land that I exist in, I think the guy is incredible. That said, I missed the debate because I got a little tipsey at the pub and forgot about it.

I miss you.

Anonymous said...

I've worked at avoiding politics deliberately because it is so hard for me to believe any of them. So I didn't watch the debate. I can't seem to stop reading though!

I do like that Kucinich said he'd read the Patriot Act. I don't think he's electable though. He could be good I think.

I get a creepy feeling from Obama so he's out.

I've kind of been paying attention Edwards but am holding my breath just waiting for the 'shoe' to drop so to speak.

Hillary just bugs me.

I fear it will again be a choice of the lesser of two evils for me since I honestly believe that anyone who gets to that level in the political spectrum owes too much to too many to be able to carry out their campaign promises.

Jaded said...

If the country elects Clinton, we will then have had 24 years of the same 2 families running our nation. That is completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. She promised the moon and the stars when her husband was elected, then did little to fulfill her promises. Now she says it was the mean old Republicans who stopped her. Well, if they stopped her before, they'll stop her again. She's already proven to me that she's ineffective. She doesn't need to show me twice.

I like Edwards, because I think he's a good guy. He might be caught up in the snide comments because that's the popular thing to do. Obama is the new guy on the block. While many think this is a strike against him, I think it might actually work for him. He hasn't had time to become part of the machinery that is government, so he still wants to just do what's best to help people.

On the Republican side, I kinda like Ron Paul. Here's why I like him, taken from his web site:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.


I think he might just be alright.

Hermes said...

Come to think of it, I haven't read the Patriot Act. I wonder if there isn't some small print specifying a lifetime term for the current prez. He'll spring that on you next August, right after another "emergency".

BostonPobble said...

Zooom ~ Who cares about intelligence here. It's my blog. Say whatever you want. And I can understand why, if you couldn't hear her, Hilary looked pissy!

Graziella ~ Yeah, you weren't exactly in a condition to watch the debate. ;) Miss you, too. As always.

Traci ~ I understand! Like you, I'm waiting to be disappointed in Edwards.

Jaded ~ Interesting that I have never even heard of Ron Paul. I'll keep my ears open about him.

GOML! ~ Put sheets on the sofa 'cause if Bush declares martial law, I'm so moving in.

akakarma said...

Saw Hilary on the JAy Leno show and she was self deprecating and actually funny! Go figure! Kucinich is great but not electable tho no one would've though Bernie Sanders would be a Senator either!Obama seems sharp but too Howdy Doodiyish! Needs to muss up himself a bit. I'm someone who hates clean sneakers ya know?

BostonPobble said...

Akakarma ~ Maybe that's what has been niggling me about Obama. I'd like to see him a little more human. Although I did like the dancing on Ellen.

2 Dollar Productions said...

I meant to watch this, but got home too late and mostly just read the re-caps.

Edwards feels done to me. Clinton supposedly put on a solid show, which is all she probably has to do as she leads in nearly every poll I see.

Obama I like, but I am not sure he can ever sustain enough momentum to carry him over the top. If he wins Iowa, then maybe it will be interesting.

We'll see.

As for Kucinich, he's just not electable but his answer was great. And his wife isn't half-bad either.

Tai said...

I don't have much intelligent to say about politics either.

But it would be interesting to see Hilary elected.
Bush.
Clinton.
Bush.
Clinton.
Makes it seems as if there's such a limited choice in the matter!

BostonPobble said...

$$ ~ I fear you are right about Edwards. I don't want you to be though. :(

BostonPobble said...

Tai ~ Once again, we cross in cyberspace. As a female, I can get excited about the concept of a female president. As a person, I just wish it wasn't going to be Hilary. And the Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton dynamic is just scary to me.