Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Rose Colored Post

I was tagged by Rose, over at Lessons Learned. If you haven't clicked on the link over there, now is the perfect time. She's a good read and, like Dagoth, a very peaceful voice in what can often be a vitriolic place and time around cyberspace. (And you do have to click over there because as I am trying to link it here in this post, blogger is acting wonky.)

So, the tag is to explain where my blog title and name came from and why I chose it. Then, tag other bloggers with interesting blog names and titles in order to find out about them.

Therefore, here we go:

While I was growing up, my parents introduced BioSis and me to all kinds of poetry. Being somewhat absurd children, we both were drawn to the absurdist poems the most. Her favorite was the Jabberwocky. Mine was The Pobble Who Had No Toes, by Edward Lear. As I became an adult, I admit my enjoyment of poetry has waned. It's gotta be really good for me to be moved or even want to finish it. The Pobble, however, stayed my all-time favorite poem. When I decided to start blogging (thanks to the Lovely Cats), I knew I wanted a name as quirky and unusual as I am ~ and yet didn't sound as if I take myself too seriously, either.
And I remembered The Pobble. Intelligent enough to have been written by Lear; absurd enough to be about a Pobble who loses his toes at sea because he doesn't keep his nose warm and dry. Perfect! At the time I started blogging, I was holding onto Boston for dear life because it was the only safe place I had so I knew I wanted to incorporate Boston in there somewhere. The title was almost Boston Ramblings but that sounded as if I would be writing about Boston or Pobble Ramblings but I didn't like the way that sounded. And afterall, they wouldn't be ramblings as much as they would be...thoughts. Pobble Thoughts. And which Pobble? Not Lear's Pobble but the Boston Pobble.

And that, boys and girls, is the story of how this blog got its name.

As for tagging, Dagoth, you're up. You, too, Cracker Lilo. And finally, someone I don't have linked but I read and believe he reads here regularly, Speaker for the Bread, because, dude, I really want to know where that one comes from!

Those are Pobble Thoughts ~ and you even know why. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

12 comments:

Graziella said...

I always enjoy this story of how you became the Boston Pobble. :) And well, you know my story! Give the babies lovies from their auntie!

BostonPobble said...

Graziella ~ I remember when you were Begonia. ;)

prioritybooks said...

Oh I like that! I enjoyed your story and I also love your tag line- that and a buck fifty...that's salty- I mean cool, hot or whatever!Thanks for sharing and participating.

Rose said...

Prioritybooks is me(Rose)

Anonymous said...

I have been a silent lurker for some time now, but decided to finally let you know how much I enjoy your blogs. I simply cannot start my day without several cups of coffee and a visit here each morning to see what The Boston Pobble has to say :-)

Jaded said...

I've always liked that story.

My name is pretty much a no brainer, huh?

Hope all is well, my friend.

xoxox

BostonPobble said...

Priority Books/Rose ~ I've always figured it was the same person but...Thanks for this tag.

Melissa ~ Hey! Glad to meet you finally! And very happy you enjoy stopping by.

Jaded ~ Yeah, there's a reason I didn't tag you. ;)

Tai said...

Dear Pobble! Dear Boston Pobble!

Great story, I loved that!

ZooooM said...

Why is it that every time my job staples me to my desk for like 12 hours a day, all the blogs go nuts with the good stuff? I mean, it's ALWAYS good, but in the last few entries you've had all the good fun be even ... funner and I've missed it. arrrrgh.

Anyway, what a neat idea. I like the stories everyone has.

Stoopid job robbing me of my fun!

Krystal said...

I remember reading Jabberwocky in third grade. Never read The Pobble Who Had No Toes. I'll have to get a copy now.

BostonPobble said...

Tai ~ Thank you, dear Tai!

Zooom ~ Always glad to see you back. I had actually thought about tagging you on this one but wasn't sure you'd catch it. So, if you read this comment, consider yourself tagged. :) And try not to stay away too long. You're always missed when you're gone.

Krystal ~ Cut and paste to your heart's content! http://bostonpobble.blogspot.com/2006/04/original-pobble.html

BostonPobble said...

Krystal ~ try this one instead

http://bostonpobble.blogspot.com/2006/04/original-pobble.html

(and in case that gets cut off again, it ends with 'original-pobble.html')