Pages

Monday, November 19, 2007

A New Holiday

When my father died, I lost my family holiday traditions. For the first several years, it was as depressing as that sentence makes it sound. Then it became more or less okay. Over the last few years, I have created other traditions. I go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas and spend the holidays with my family ~ just not the way most people think. I spend Thanksgiving in New Jersey with the Divine M and the Grill Master. I spend Christmas in Connecticut with the Lovely Cats, et al.

Until this year. This year, I am 3000 miles away from them, have Lionel and Daisy who are done traveling, thankyouverymuch and am pretty much broke. And Lithus is on tour in another state. So...

So, I am making new holidays. BIL arrives on Wednesday. It will just be the two of us. We may even just bring in dinner from the grocery store (because yes, GNGirl, you can do that!) He is looking forward to spending all day playing XBox. I have told him he has to give up the television long enough to let me watch the Cowboys game. Otherwise, he can play as long and as violently as he wants. No kids; no schedule; just XBox. I think he is beside himself with joy, honestly. Then Friday we will explore Chinatown. He is psyched because it's been so long since he's been to a big city's Chinatown. I'm psyched because I explore better with another person along for the ride. It won't be typical. It won't be anything I'm used to. It will be Thanksgiving with someone I love. And that's really what matters.

I am surprisingly thankful.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

9 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

It's hard, but good, to make your own traditions. I feel you. I'm a little bummed out not to be with my family for Thanksgiving, yet a lot excited. Hope your new holidays go well. *hug*

Anonymous said...

I really had no idea. Tell me it's a new thing; I've been slaving for 2 days for years, not knowing I could dash out and pick our meal up an hour before the guests arrive?

What else don't I know? I wish I knew.

Hope your turkey day is grand!

Graziella said...

Yes, this year is a first for new ways to celebrate the holidays... :)

Jaded said...

This is the first Thanksgiving in many years that I won't spend with my parents and siblings. I'm ready to cook for just Mr. Jaded and Jadette, who are my true family. And it even works out well that my turkey is too big...I mentioned to my friend, Rich, that I'd be making Turkey Pot Pie the day after, and he mentioned that he loved pot pie. SO, I'll be making 2 of them. I'll get to share my leftovers with one of my closest friends and his fiancee. It all works out the way it was intended.

Sometimes we have to give up something to figure out the true meaning of something else. And it's all as it was intended.

Have a wonderful day.

Hermes said...

Enjoy! Hope you have even more to be thankful about than you thought.

Anonymous said...

yanno, i knew you were here. i knew it. let me know when you want to come out and play.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Traditions are constantly evolving in my mind, and if you accept that, then it's a pretty nice way to go (even if it sad to watch some go).

Enjoy the holidays and make sure there is no reneging (sp?) on the Xbox thing as you need to watch the game - that is a Thanksgiving moral imperative.

BostonPobble said...

CrackerLilo ~ Hard but good. I like that.

GNGirl ~ Sorry, friend, the grocery-store-Thanksgiving has been around for awhile. I mean...yes, yes, it's a TOTALLY new thing.

Graziella ~ I knew you'd hear me. :D

Jaded ~ My first holidays without my biofamily were an interesting combination of distressing and stress-free. May yours be everything you want and deserve!

GOML! ~ Oh, I have SO MUCH to be thankful for and I am aware of every single one of them.

Traci ~ I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm the BOSTON Pobble, afterall. ;)

$$ ~ Oh, the moral imperative of the Thanksgiving Day Cowboys game trumps EVERYTHING, even Xbox. Luckily, BIL understands this. I would hate to have to hurt him on a holiday.

Anonymous said...

Pobble...yea, right.

I may have been born at night but I wasn't born LAST night girlie!

Happy Thanksgiving no matter what coast you are celebrating on.

MWAH!