Pages

Monday, November 03, 2008

Happy Thoughts

Those of you who have been long-time readers may (or may not) remember several years ago, I fell up the stairs at the Divine M's house and broke one of the little bones in my left foot. My doctor told me to wrap it, ice it and stay off of it for 3-5 days. The FE brought over dinner and wine one night and, amazingly enough, my foot didn't hurt much. She also coined the phrase One Footed Pobble Hop for the dance I do when I'm excited. It has since become simply the Pobble Hop but it is still her creation.

I am now 3000 miles away from the FE. Luckily, I live in the same house with Lithus. Because I have, once again, broken one of the little bones in the top of my foot. This time, it's the right foot rather than the left and I didn't fall up stairs (I whacked it on a poorly placed rack at a department store, in case you're wondering) but the result and cure are the same. Wrap, ice, off it.

Which has given me a lot of time to think, as I am only in day two of my three day cure, and I have been thinking about things that make me happy.

* Playing Clue with my family. It's my favorite board game. I own it ~ a Christmas present the last year my dad was alive. But it's in storage in Worcester and, given the fact that it was a gift when it was a gift, I haven't played it in a while. Lithus bought it for me the other day and he, Timber and I played several rounds. You know what? It's still a great game.

* Writing. As I've mentioned here, I've been blocked. I've been really, really blocked. It's probably been 6-8 weeks since I've written anything fictional and another 4 before that since I've written anything good. But the Universe gives us what we need and, apparently, I needed a broken foot. Because I have been writing today. Incredibly, incredibly productive. I am superstitious enough that I won't proclaim my block gone. It's been one day after nearly 3 months. And I wrote today. Which is a huge something.

* The Orleans Candle Company. They are down in Portland, which is further than I would like it to be but not nearly as far as Salem, MA. And they sell supplies the way I am used to stores selling supplies.

* French manicure forms. These are little strips that you can use to give yourself a French manicure and have them have clean lines and look nice.

* Halloween/Samhain. While there were too many people to honor this year, that's the way it happens sometimes. But it was good to release the crap that I let go of and plant the seeds I planted. It's working already. And we got trick-or-treaters. Not many but enough. My favorite was a teenager dressed as a stock broker. He had a suit with the tie loosened and jacket askew, he'd done makeup to give himself heavy 5 o'clock shadow and had a bottle in a brown paper sack tucked in his pocket. We carved pumpkins into Jack o'lanterns, which I love. Timber and Lithus used patterns for the first time. I used a pattern and free-formed one (yes, I got two because mine were little.) I have never seen white pumpkins before but got one this year and carved ghosts into it. Oh yeah ~ happiness.

* NaNoMo. Which stands for National Novel Month, in case you don't know. The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. I have never participated before. I'm not officially participating this month. And, I'm unofficially borrowing it in hopes that it helps break the block. So far, it's working. I also love the knowledge that other authors are out there, working, creating, churning away. The world needs books and stories. It's nice to know they're coming along.

* My new jacket. It's actually a top, not a jacket. So it's a jacket but it's not outerwear. Yes, that's probably the better way of describing it. It's fitted burgundy velvet with lace around the sleeves and collar and corset lacing up the back. And it's bee-yoo-tee-ful.

* My shoes from the Lovely Cats. These were my birthday present from her this year. Actually, she got me a Target gift card. But still. They're from her.

So yes, lots of happiness these days. And lots of gratitude for the happiness.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Ooo! Can I play? I'm happy too!

Spent the weekend in St. Louis with Clint's daughter & fiance--on my own. He had to work, and they still love me enough to want me to come anyway!

Great cuticle cream is bringing my nails up to being french manicure worthy, too!

Son is coming home and bringing 3 soldiers whose Mama's are too far away for them to visit, for Thanksgiving. I WILL be pulling out all the stops.

Cardboard Barack cracks me up.

My sister feels good.

I'm learning to make pate. Pa-tay, not pate, like a monk's pate. As soon as I finish this comment.

Anonymous said...

<3 and Prayers

Much love,

Dreamer

BostonPobble said...

GNightGirl ~ Glad you're happy. What a great list. And yes, you can always play. :) Is Moore one of the soldiers on his way to yours?>:)

BostonPobble said...

Dreamer ~ Love back to you.