Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Thing to Remember

For those who supported Barack Obama and are now basking in the glow of his election, it would be easy to forget that there are people who have woken this morning angry, afraid and more ostracized than ever. For those who supported John McCain and are now dealing with his electorial loss, it would be easy to believe that the enemy won.

What I would ask us all to remember is that we all share a common goal. We all want the United States of America to be stronger, healthier, safer and more stable. We want this country to be everything it can be. Gloating will do us no good. Pouting will do us no good.

Yes, I speak from the winning side of the table. I have, however, more often than not, spoken from the other side of the table and have tried to always speak these same words, hold this same attitude. We are all Americans. No one is more real than anyone else. No one is more loyal or patriotic than anyone else. No one's feelings are any more ~ or less ~ valid than anyone else's. We do not have to agree. We do not have to like. We must find a way to come together now, as a country, as a people, and reach our common goal.

Personally, I think the men who can help us do this is won last night. You don't have to agree with me. If I am right, though, or if you are, these are the men we have. And we are what we have. Male-Female. Rich-Poor-and Everything In Between. Black-White-Asian-Latino-and Everything Else. Gay-Straight-Bi-Transgendered. Christian-non Christian. City Mice-Country Mice-Suburban Mice. Plumbers-CEOs. Wage Earners-Salaried. We are America. We are Americans. None of us is going anywhere. All of us have a right to be here. We must work and live and come together.

The word "hope" has been and continues to be bandied about. Here is my hope: that we can become a unified nation again. That we can disagree and agree and fight and argue and hug and respect and understand as a single people, a single nation. Maybe I hope too much. But I don't think so.

To quote from one of my favorites: These men, no matter how much we may disagree with them, they are not ribbon clerks to be ordered about - they are proud, accomplished men, the cream of their colonies. And whether you like them or not, they and the people they represent will be part of this new nation that YOU hope to create. Now, either learn how to live with them, or pack up and go home! In any case, stop acting like a Boston fishwife.

Take a few days. Bask in the glow. Wallow in the anger. But then... well, then it's time we all stopped acting like Boston fishwives. And that's the thing to remember.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

10 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

Well said and I thought Obama touched on that point nicely during his speech (also think he will work pretty well towards that goal once he assumes office).

What a night, eh? Just flat-out phenomenal.

Anonymous said...

I am very appreciative that we had classy men giving speeches. McCain's was very nice. I am speaking from the losing side, taken a few deep slow breathes that turn in to sighs today, but I think that'll start to ebb as the victorious shouts start to ebb. It's hard not to react when people were "right," they chose the "winner," and they were "victorious." It's just plain hard. Especially on a college campus. I am not hardened, bitter, or angry. Just...I don't know what to feel. Anticipatory is the only word I can come up with.

Unknown said...

That's from 1776, yes? Franklin to Adams? I love that musical..... one of my favorites too.

Hermes said...

No matter who won, democracy scored a goal last night didn't it? Possibly the largest voter turnout ever? Everyone should be proud of that. Now, about our softwood lumber agreements...

Momo said...

Wise words, Pobble.

I am with you - - I would never try to gloat. (I do celebrate - - but not gloat.) I remember how awful I felt 4 years ago...

Now is the time to come together. I hope that we will.

Krystal said...

...Pobble...

Where's Pobble...?

Hey, I've downed my box of wine, a few rum and cherry cokes...a handfull of slippery nipple shots.

I'm over it. ;P

dondon009 said...

Being from originally from Boston, I know I've heard the term but I'm not sure I know exactly what a Boston fish wife is......

I love the post and will make this very short...... because I am still doing the "happy dance"!

I love you dear~

DON

Fran Caldwell said...

I am originally from Australa, now living in Canada. I was just as ecstatic as all of you with this amazing win.

Believe me, this is a global happy dance!

Oh, because my computer is strangely running slow, this has taken me over half an hour to get this comment up, but I so wanted to get in on this.

Love your blog!

BostonPobble said...

$$ ~ Flat out phenomenal. Yep. That about covers it.

Dreamer ~ It is difficult when the people who did win, who were victorious gloat and cannot see that they may not have been "right." Good for you for maintaining the high road in the face of arrogance.

Laura Elizabeth ~ First, if you're who I think you are, YAY for the comment and thanks. Second, you got it in one: Ben to John (because I'm on a first name basis with them, as you know if you're who I think you are.) This ties for first of my all-time favs. :)

GOML ~ No doubt that democracy scored and scored BIG. The result also means I won't be crashing on your couch any time soon (I hope.)

Momo ~ Thanks. And yes, I too have and will continue to celebrate. Yet that is different from gloating. Because we must come together as a country.

Krystal ~ Now that I'm feeling better...where are my rum and cherry cokes? Surely you didn't forget to mix me up a couple.

DonDon ~ I love you. You know that. So...where's my email/phone call? >:)

Fran Caldwell ~ Welcome to Pobble Thoughts! I always love finding a new commenter here. And thank you for your words.

Rose said...

Well said Pobble. Indeed!