Pages

Friday, September 15, 2006

I Swear I Don't Do It On Purpose

I have some kind of radar. Men in military-type professions flock to me.

My first boyfriend? Marine JrROTC. Joined up the day after graduation. The One Who Got Away ~ Army. The first guy I ever shared a bed with in a romantic way ~ Marine. First one-night stand ~ Army. Last boyfriend before getting married? ROTC. Joined up after graduation and was in Ranger school by year's end. The SGM. Former Ranger, current Green Beret. First relationship after the marriage went kaplooey ~ former Navy.

So, I decided to swear off those guys. No More! And the joy of online dating is there is this section entitled "Occupation." That thing reads military or government or police/fire, I am outta there. Hell, I don't even respond!


Enter Butterfly Boy. He's an accountant. How much safer can you get than an accountant? Except he's an accountant with a tour in the Navy under his belt who is still in inactive reserve (which really doesn't mean much but come on!) He was even an officer for God's sake.

Then I end up in touch with Lithus. Lithus was never in the military. Lithus is a pilot. Now this I can groove on. So we chat a few times, exchange a few nice, flirty emails. When he tells me he's got to head back to work and will be gone for two weeks. Great. No problem. Only where is he flying? He's flying over this...






The man flies helicopters for the US Fire Service. And in case you have missed it, this is the worst fire season in fifty years.

One of these days, I'm going to meet a lawyer or a baseball player or even a tour guide or a teacher. But don't hold your breath.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

11 comments:

ZooooM said...

Oh my BPP! I ended up swearing off of musicians for this kind of reason. Actually, I had become so jaded that I had figured relationships with a man (beyond the booty call) were just not part of my future.

Well, I do hope Lithus comes back and doesn't burn YOU. There is no safe man or occupation. I think life likes to make us give up all hope before finally giving us the exception to the rule. Stupid life.

kimber said...

Like I always say, better to fall for men who are loyal, courageous & heroic than for men who are drunk, sweaty & old.

Twisted Lady said...

Yup, I had more than my share of bad boy musicians..

I am married to one now (and forever), but he is reformed :)

BostonPobble said...

Just for clarification ~ these guys (okay, with the possible exception of whoever the SGM has tunred into ~ and even he was a good guy once) were/are good guys. However, being involved with military personel ~ current or former ~ takes something that I no longer have and don't particularly need to find again. It's not a slam on military men as much as it is and laughing head shake over the fact that I Keep Finding Them, even when intentionally looking elsewhere.

Organized Noise said...

Damn. Talk about strange coincidences. The closest coincidence I have is being attracted to every woman I've ever met named Danielle. Then again, in 28 years, that would only be 5 Danielle's that I've known personally.

dondon009 said...

Lithus?

It seems a telephone call is in order soon....

I have to work for the next six days but will set up a talk time for next weekend?

Lithus?

BTW... you're lucky they are/were in the military. Mine seem to be posted on "Inmate Search" or "Inmate Release" dot commmm.....

Aisha T. said...

Hmmmm....with that type of experience under your belt, I would trust you into leading us into battle. Some of their experience had to have osmosed into you somehow! The closest I ever got was a very, very brief brush with a secret service dude. No, those guys don't seem to have an interest in me. I tend to draw in artists/musicians/geek types that are younger than me. I even dated a clown once (I'm not kidding--he asked me out in full clown glory). D went to RISD on full scholarship for art is a carpenter and full fledged geek like me but, happens to be my age. I can dig that.

Blue Dog Art said...

Oh man, you do attract a certain type don't you?

2 Dollar Productions said...

I think the strangest one was the accountant as the odds of that must be extremely long, and maybe you should have made him run the numbers on it.

MrVorhias said...

Best of luck to him, because boy does he have his work cut out for him...

Anonymous said...

From a perspective it can be magnificent.

Lithus