Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Ramblings So You Know I'm Alive

1. With thanks and apologies both, to Spider Girl. The other day, I was driving, doing my typical 80 MPH down the Pike when I reached for my coffee. What my hand touched, however, was a spider that had taken refuge in the jeep at some point. Now, my friends who have known me for any length of time know this should have resulted in a multi-car pile up and possibly an obituary or two, almost definitely my own. Instead, I thought to myself "Stay calm like SpiderGirl. She actually likes these fuckers. What would she do?" Now, here's where the apology part comes in. I am guessing, as I did at the time, that Spider Girl would have lifted it up to her shoulder and let it ride the rest of the way, exchanging life stories and singing along with the radio. I couldn't bring myself to do that. Instead, I found a napkin and crushed him to death. Okay, not exactly the fairy tale ending for the spider, I admit it. However, I was able to stay on the road, not kill any humans and didn't even need to pull over to have a nervous breakdown. Which is where the thanks come in because for me, that's huge. Even if the spider didn't do so well in the deal.

2. I'm intrigued by how many people read my previous post as my relationships with military and military-type men as being negative, bad or mistakes. While I stated this in the comments section, I'll reiterate it here: these were/are good guys. None of them were bad boys or mistakes. I was simply intrigued by my ability to find them over and over and over again. For the record, the worst relationship I've ever been in wasn't even on the list. A total civilian.

3. Milk thistle supplements are good for liver damage. The babies now get one every evening with their dinners. Thus ends the PSA for this post.

4. I'm working part-time as an admin assistant. Although I hate (abhor, detest, loathe) the fact that I have to have a job aside from writing, at least I'm back working with L Blackbelt and like several other of the staff. And it's part-time so... Making jokes during suicide prevention training is really important if you're gonna stay sane.

5. Monday I will recertify my CPR training. The one and only time I have ever had to perform CPR was on my father ~ and we all know how it turned out. Everytime I have to recertify, I sob. I get the job done ~ and I sob. I'm back on the porch, it's December 26, 1997 about 11:00pm. Regardless of where I actually am. So, I make arrangements to recertify one-on-one rather than in the group. Feel free to send warm, happy thoughts my way Monday morning, about 11:00 a.m.

6. The book is gonna get written. I make no guarantees about how good it's going to be. I'm too close to it and have too many of my own biases about it to know. And it's going to get written. At this point, that's all I care about. I am really looking forward to writing another one that I actually care about. Many, many thanks to Burnight and P. C.

7. Along those lines, I will pay $50 for someone to come do my laundry. Another $50 to whomever is willing to do my dishes.

8. I finally saw Test Words You Should Know by PT Shank in a national chain bookstore. How fucking cool was that, people??????????? I love Borders. Until now, I've been a Barnes and Noble girl. Now, I love Borders.

9. The fire fighting is going well. Snow in the higher elevations is helping control the flames if making visiblity crappy. It is, however, lending itself to poker games.

10. Reno, here's a 10-List for you. ;)

Those are living, breathing, if stressed and overworked, Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

15 comments:

dondon009 said...

It's wonderful to read and read and read your every word..... and know all is well.

You are much missed, my friend!

DON~

Tai said...

I laughed out loud about the Spider Girl situation.

I've known her since she was 11 and yes...the spider probably would have been riding on her shoulder singing Kumbayah.
(but good for you for not causing any major accidents!)

As for Kimber the Wolfgrrrl and her book...HURRAY!!
I've known her since she was 12 and I live vicariously through her readership.

Cheers Pobble! You've made a whole bunch of people's days!

kimber said...

Hey Pobble!

My friendship with Spider has saved many, many arachnid lives. I keep a glass and a postcard to one side, to trap them and let them go outside, all because of her. :)

So glad to hear that your friend wants to read The Tattooed Wolf, but it can be hard to get a copy -- if you'd like, drop me an email me and I can get you one.... That book of your's IS going to get written, and I'm sure it will be grand!!!! :)

kimber said...

Drop me an email me?!?!?! oh my....it's time for bed.... :)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm impressed with your newfound spider prowess; I'd have flipped my car over. That SpiderWhisperer Girl is to be commended for her influence on you also.

I'll do your laundry and dishes for free, but you have to buy the airline ticket.

Graziella said...

I'll help you with number 7 if you'd like :)

Momo said...

The Spider Girl story/comparison was hilarious...I can totally feel you on that one. I'm such an animal lover - had it been any other creature than a spider, it would have been on my shoulder too...but I'm scared to death of those fuckers.

Glad to have the update...

ZooooM said...

Glad to hear you are doing well, and you're writing too.

"8. I finally saw Test Words You Should Know by PT Shank in a national chain bookstore. How fucking cool was that, people??????????? I love Borders. Until now, I've been a Barnes and Noble girl. Now, I love Borders."

I've always been a B&N girl too, until about 2 years ago where suddenly it was like someone put a spell on me and I found myself loving the Borders a teeny bit more than B&N.

I once was in a car with a spider. I pulled the car over and let the door open until I was convinced the spider got out. And I'd love to tell you and Spider Girl that it is because I don't want to kill them. It's actually because I'm too afraid of them to even kill them.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Good luck with the everything, but especially the writing because as you mentioned, once you've been embroiled in something for so long it's hard to step outside of it for a reasonable judgement.

But the most important thing is finishing - isn't it always?

christine mtm said...

well thank the Goddess you are still alive. (God too)

if i get some time i will come do your dishes and you will only have to buy me lunch.

love you

Spider Girl said...

Oh Pobble! I'm laughing so hard! You did very well in the situation.

My husband read your post and said, "Well Spider Girl, you've had an effect...you changed someone's life."

I laughed harder. :)

CrackerLilo said...

Laughing about the spider, too! They don't freak me out, but ants can make me scream in a way that only dogs can hear.

I'm happy you saw your book, and hope working part-time can fulfill you. It sounds like fulfilling work, anyway.

Glad to hear from you! :-)

Anonymous said...

well, If I'd known you needed your dishes done and if I'd realized that the wedding I went to with mr pookie-man was in woo...I would have made him leave earlier and gotten at those dishes for you. Laundry you would have had to ask him about.

Twisted Lady said...

I would have freaked about the spider.

No way I could have smooshed it either. That would have involved getting close.

Nope.

Rose said...

I don't know if I could have been as a cool as you were with the spider. Glad you were thinking straight......