Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Great Popcorn Incident

At least one night every time Lithus goes on tour, I have popcorn for dinner. Tonight was the night for this tour. I had spent the evening cleaning the kitchen and doing dishes. Cooking wasn't high on the priority list. Popcorn time.

So, I poured the oil into the pot, added my five kernels and decided that, although there wasn't much popcorn left in the bag, there should be enough. The five kernels popped and I added what was left in the bag. There wasn't enough popcorn for that much oil. Ooops. Thinking quickly, I decide to open the next bag of popcorn. Which takes longer than it really needs to.

Finally, the bag gets opened and I, still thinking quickly but not wisely, take the lid off the pot but do not think I should put it down. Afterall, I have just cleaned the kitchen and don't want the oil ring on the clean stove top. Instead, I try to pour popcorn out of a full bag, one-handed. And proceed to dump about 3 cups of popcorn kernels into the pot. Which means I now have way too much popcorn for the oil. Way too much. Which now begins to scorch. So I have to take it off the heat and get it out of the pot. Only some of it is popping. While the rest of it is scorching. And the lid is off.

Tomorrow, I really need to clean my kitchen again. Tonight, I'm having a bagel.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

10 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I didn't realize popcorn required so much preparedness! But, I get my popcorn fix from my BFF, Diane; she's the one heating the oil, and putting in the black diamond popcorn, and melting the butter...all for me, while I wait out on the deck with my glass of wine. I am popcorn-iically spoiled.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Like GNG, I'm also popcornically spoiled. My girl pops it in her big ol' popcorn maker!

I totally feel for you trying to keep the kitchen clean!

Have a great weekend!

Graziella said...

I understand trying to keep the place clean. I've been tidying all week for my neurotically clean and tidy house guest that's arriving tomorrow evening... All 3 hounds have been bathed, all their beds are clean, every surface has been dusted, floors swept and mopped. But the kitchen counters manage to clutter themselves the second I get them cleared off! Oh, and it's been raining and muddy paws have trod on my clean floors... So it's time to mop, again. I miss having someone do my floors for me. Miss you.

CrackerLilo said...

Can I say I think it's totally cool that you don't microwave your popcorn? I thought I was the only person who made it the old-school way!

Momo said...

Whew! I was skeeered for a moment that you might've burned yourself!

Sorry you had such a hard time though! Sounds like a Lucy moment!

Jaded said...

Now, I mean this with as much love as is humanly possible in this situation...but I'd have paid money to see that extravaganza!

I wish that scenario was foreign to me, but, no such luck. Mr. Jaded got me a popcorn popper for Christmas in '06 because of a very similar extravaganza that reduced me to tears. It's a cool contraption because it still uses oil, just a tablespoon for the largest amount, so it isn't all dry and cardboardesque, like air popped corn would be. I still occasionally make it on the stove because that still tastes the best. I'm with Lilo, no microwave! I will admit I keep it in the house in the mini-bags for when Jadette wants some and I don't have time to make the real stuff.

Aside from the new mess, I hope all is well!! xoxox

nRT said...

So sorry, there is nothing like the ever lasting smell of burnt pop corn.Hope your long weekend goes better than last nights dinner

BostonPobble said...

GNightGirl ~Apparently, I didn't either! Feel free to bring Diane and the wine here. Any time.

RLL ~ You and your girl are also welcome. Any time. I would love to become popcronically spoiled, if only for a night. I have popcornically challenged down, obviously.

Graziella ~ I'd mop your floors any day. ;) Miss you, too.

Cracker Lilo ~ I did the microwave thing for a while and then decided Screw This! and went back to the good stuff. You're right; we're a fading breed.

Momo ~ I wasn't worried about me so much, however, the entire time this is happening, Lionel is being his Lionel-self right under my feet. I was skeered *he* might get burned!

Jaded ~ Heard Entirely the way you meant it! This was one of those moments when the world needed a webcam into my life.

WinRob ~ Luckily, the scorching didn't turn to full out burning so the smell wasn't too bad. It wasn't great but nor was it that smell you're talking about (and I know well.)

lithus said...

Will you be finding kernels for a long time?

How does popcorn know when to pop?

I think that it is the fairies again. Not the ones who take my keys but I think closely related if not a sub or near super-class member.

Were you looking away when a popcorn fairy swung through on the way to the cinema? Did they leave spare change from someone else's cushions? Again I think that they are all working together to bring minor chaos to the Universe.

BostonPobble said...

Blacklok ~ I have no doubt I will be finding kernels for a while! As for the popcorn fairies, I wish I could blame them but this one is all on me.