Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Important PSA

Every year, I get a pap smear and, since turning 40, a mammogram. My biological grandmother, the original Pauline, died of breast cancer before I ever even met her. Hell, my mother was only 16, so it's something we take seriously in my family. This year, I was at a new clinic so had to fill out all the paperwork from scratch. They always ask for family history, so I called my mom and asked how old Polly was when she was diagnosed. We did the math; I wrote down the answer; we hung up.

She was 41.

I am 41.


I am woman enough to admit; it threw me. All will be well. There is absolutely no reason to think otherwise; this was simply another yearly exam. And it was a good reminder.


Women, get your annual exams. Men, remind the women you love to get their annual exams. It's too easy to catch early. There's no reason not to see your doctor once a year. Stick around to celebrate many more holiday seasons.

Those are Pobble Thoughts ~ and Pauline's. That and a buck fifty will get you a hell of a lot more than coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable, but the insurance company called to remind my wife she was past due for her mammogram (after I had said a few times, "Aren't you overdue to see your Ob/Gyn?")

And if I can put a double meaning on PSA: men over 40, get that done annually, along with that other related related exam by your doctor.

CrackerLilo said...

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself.

As I get closer to the age my father died of a heart attack, I get more and more careful about my cholesterol intake, exercise, etc. I relate.