Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

We Interrupt This Program...

According to the AP:

WASHINGTON – Richard Holbrooke, a brilliant and feisty U.S. diplomat who wrote part of the Pentagon Papers, was the architect of the 1995 Bosnia peace plan and served as President Barack Obama's special envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan, died Monday, an administration official said. He was 69.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the family had yet to make a formal announcement of Holbrooke's death.

Now, first, I pray this is a case of misinformation and I have to come back and apologize for not fact checking better.

Second, my heart breaks for the Holbrooke family and others who loved him. Losing a someone during the holidays really, really sucks. Really sucks. Especially how quickly this happened.

But third...as I said to Lithus Saturday (I think) when I first heard he had been hospitalized and for what, we are so totally fucked. The country, hell, the world, needed this man. Not as much as his family did. I no longer believe in the greater good crap. But we needed him. Badly. And we've lost him, just as much as his family and friends have. And don't fool yourself, whatever you might have thought about his politics or his style, he was the best chance we had in Afghanistan and Iraq.

So I ask the Goddess to give comfort to those who love him, at least as much comfort as can be found right now. But I also say, dear God help the rest of us, too, 'cause we could be good and fucked.

Those are sad Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: