Pages

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Cancer Patient" Shouldn't Be a Costume

As many of you probably remember, back last spring, my Dear One's cousin, RJ, was diagnosed with cancer. He was given 3 weeks to live. (For those of you newer than that to this blog, RJ is only 12.) The reason you haven't heard more about is he is still around. Take that, doctors!

Yesterday, my Dear One called me. It's coming and it's coming soon. The doctors are now saying we are anywhere from days to hours. Being Southerners, the family is gathering. My Dear One has taken a couple days off from work. There is lots of making each other crazy, laughing, crying, arguing and watching RJ sleep. As my Dear One puts it "When he is awake, he's just waiting to go back to sleep."

Until tonight. When this amazingly strong young man decided he wanted to go trick or treating. So they piled him into the RV that the hospital has provided and are taking him trick or treating. No costume. No makeup. No plan. Just him. I hope he gets more candy than a dozen healthy children with long lives ahead of them could possibly eat. So does he.

I'll keep you posted. In just a few minutes, I'm going into ritual for Samhain and will let Daddy know RJ is probably on his way. Usually, I consider Samhain a night to simply honor my dead. I ask nothing of them. I treat them as the guests of honor at their very own party. But even sometimes, at their very own parties, you have to pull the honored guest aside and say "Hey, I need to talk to you about something..." So tonight, I will do just that with my Daddy. He'd sigh at me and give me a very long lecture if I didn't so I might as well.

Blessed Be.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

Dreamer said...

I hope...

I don't know what I hope...

I hope he isn't in pain but my God I feel like a wretch...

I had a long prayer last night for short stuff and RJ...

ZooooM said...

I too don't know what the appropriate thing to say is. I do hope that as much of life can be on his own terms as possible. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Jaded said...

All the prayers I can muster are with RJ tonight.

"May flights of angels guide thee to they rest."

Tai said...

It's Samhain...the gate is open.

Anything is possible.

nRT said...

It sound like RJ was an amazing kid. I hope his next adventure is just as amazing, I am a believer of 'Life after Life".
My prayers are with you and your family

kimber said...

Blessed be, to both you and RJ. May the gathering spirits bring you strength in this time of transition.

Krystal said...

I remember waiting with my Daddy (also cancer). In the middle of his sleep he woke up full of energy and said he wanted to go play poker with his sons.

We took him in his wheelchair to the clubhouse down the street where his son and sons-in-law were playing. He sat at that table smilng, yet tired, and played every hand like it was his last.

I hope RJ eats every piece of candy as though it's his last. And I hope he eats a lot of them.