Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Running With A Wolf

Wolfgrrrl tagged me a few days ago. It's a lovely meme...

1) Post a note about a blogger you would like to see something wonderful happen for. Maybe one whose posts have touched your heart in one way or another. Include details as to why you admire them and what you wish for them. Be as supporting and affirming as you can.
2) Post your favorite memory around selflessness, giving, or doing for others. Something that has actually changed you.
3) As a postscript, name one thing you will actually do for someone in your life before December 31 that is born out of joy.
4) Tag 3 other bloggers who will play the game and find the spirit. Don't forget to leave a comment on their blog so they continue to share the good feelings.

1. A blogger I would like to see something wonderful happen for...oh, so many. I'm choosing two: one who is a personal friend, one who is a blogger friend, because it's hard enough to only choose two, let alone one. The first is Nemeria. Without telling stories that aren't mine to tell, I will say that she deserves something wonderful. She's had a rough couple (years) months. Still, throughout it all, she has been an amazing friend, a thoughtful colleague, and a true gift to the Universe. Trust me, your world is better because Nemeria is out here, even if you don't know it or her. How can I not wish something wonderful for her. The blogger friend would be Cracker Lilo. Without knowing it, she has given me so much. More often than not, I read her posts and think "that's what I wanted to say" or even "oh dude...I hadn't thought of it that way."

2. This is another tough one to limit to one and the reason I have been so long in accepting this tag. See, for those of you who don't realize it, I worked human services for 13 years and learned about 13 days into it that I would be changed and touched as much if not more than my clients were changed and touched by me. However! I think I finally got the one ~ and it doesn't even come from those 13 years. When I was 11, my parents started taking BioSis and me to volunteer at the local soup kitchen. And not just during the holidays. Every 6-8 weeks, year round (from this I learned that there are LOTS of people who like to volunteer during the holidays but somehow forget that people are in need the other 10 months of the year. But I digress...) At the kitchen, we served 2 types of soup, three kinds of sandwiches, coffee, tea, milk, juice or water. People could have two bowls of soup, three sandwiches and as much to drink as they wanted. Everyone went through the line first and then we served refills at the tables. I was young; I was upper class; I was privileged; I was compassionate...I was self-righteous. I was helping. I was good. I was, although I wouldn't have put it this way at the time, the Great White Hope. Until I met one particular man. He was well-dressed. He was probably in his mid-twenties. He was deeply embarrassed to be there. And yet...he behaved as if he was at a restaurant instead of a soup kitchen. His demeanor was one of self-worth and self-respect. He was in need ~ he wasn't needy. As I tried to serve him, he kept saying "no" to more soup, to another sandwich. But if I refilled his milk once, I refilled it a dozen times. Later, I realized ~ milk is filling. Milk is nutritious. Milk can see a person through to the next day if you drink enough of it. He wasn't too proud to be there. He wasn't too proud to drink his milk. He wasn't too proud to accept a young girl helping him. He was, however, still proud. And I learned that compassion without respect is pity ~ and hugely demeaning. I have no doubt this man ~ who was younger at the time than I am now ~ didn't eat many more meals from a soup kitchen. I have no doubt he has long forgotten the little girl who refilled his milk glass over and over. I have never forgotten him. Compassion and respect. I hope I've continued to combine them well. I hope he would be proud of me.

3. Something born out of joy ~ I am making homemade cupcakes for the staff here at the apartment complex. They do so much and make this such a delightful, safe, comfortable place to live. I wish I could do more to thank them. Since there's not, I'll make them cupcakes. And I make a damn good cupcake. :) (ed. note ~ this has been done already but it was in the future when I first starting writing this post.)

4. The tag...as with Wolfgrrrl, this is a tough one. SO! Let's go with Graziella, Krystal and Get Off My Lawn! With Wolfgrrrl's same disclaimer: if you don't have the time during the holidays, I completely understand!

Those are Pobble Thoughts, with a hand from Wolfgrrrl. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

Nemeria said...

*sniff*

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say this one thing:

I like you more than it ought to be possible to like someone I've never met.

Merry Christmas Pobble.

BostonPobble said...

Nemeria ~ Love you.

Traci ~ Well, thanks for that! And Merry Christmas to you as well!

Casdok said...

Just dropt by to say merry christmas!!!

kimber said...

Wonderful answers, Pobble! May the holidays bring you joy, laughter, good food and much merriment!

Rose said...

Wow I learned something about milk. Great story! I really enjoyed this post....have a great holiday season!

2 Dollar Productions said...

Nice holiday meme.

Hope yours went well, and that you saved a few cupcakes for yourself. That is a good gift anytime of year.