Pages

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Busy Doing Nothing

It was decided that PT, my non-fiction writing persona, needed a website. Lithus has loads of experience doing just such things so he volunteered. Poor baby...

All weekend, "we" have been building my site. What this means is that Lithus has spent hours and hours in front of his computer doing things I will never hope to understand; making sketches at my request; uploading; downloading; spacing; gif-ing, jpg-ing and png-ing; tweaking; colorizing; scaling; coding; creating...you get the idea.

I am sitting next to him playing minesweeper on my computer.

See, every so often, he says "How's this?" and I have to look. Bless him, sometimes I smother him with kisses. Other times, I look and say "hmmmm...could we...?" At which point, his shoulders only slump a little bit before he agrees. If he's lucky, the next time I look, the result is kisses. Occasionally, it's been "hmmmm...but what if we..." or even, a couple of dastardly times, "hmmm...I liked it better before." And his shoulders only slump a little. At the end of each day, he is gracious enough to say "We got a lot done today." And I feel as busy as if we had. But I know we haven't done squat. Except lose a lot of minesweeper.

Did I mention hours and days?

I don't know if it's true that behind every good man is a good woman. I do know, behind every good writer is a good website ~ and an incredibly patient webmaster.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

13 comments:

Real Live Lesbian said...

Sounds like you've got a great webmaster! I hope you're rewarding this fine master appropriately! ;0

Can't wait to see the new site! I'm jealous. I have a blogger layout. Wow.

Jaded said...

My website is decidedly low-tech by comparison. But then, I'm not a fancy, almost famous writer. Can't wait to see the fruits of your labor! (And by your, well, give Lithius a hug from me!)

ZooooM said...

I totally want to know the address when it gets done!!

These are brave waters you guys are sailing. It is soooo hard to not only work on a computer with someone else, but when one of you is trying to put on the screen what the other one has in their head...and so on... it can be a little ego kicking. And it doesn't mean anyone is a bad person in the equasion, it's just hard to have your ideas tweaked, especially when you are trying so hard for each other. You guys are amazing.

Because when I am struggling with something on the computer, Mr. Zoom will come over and help me. And then I pout because my knee jerk (and retarded) reaction is "He thinks I'm an idiot. That's why he's doing it for me." And that's not what it is. He just hates to see me struggle. Even if it's a good struggle.

Best of luck PT!! Can't wait to see it!!

Hermes said...

I am also looking forward to perusing the new site. I think I can be of an extreme amount of help in getting your website done.

If you see a 121 pattern, especially up against the border, it means mine, space, mine. If you're having troubles with the expert level, use the custom option to lower the mine count to 70. This will give you a better chance and lots of good practice. Then, gradually work your way back up to 99 by increments of 5. No more losing.

BostonPobble said...

RLL ~ Rewards are being given out appropriately. :) And I'm sure he'll be pleased at your concern. This site will stay the same; the one we're working on is a professional one for a writing gig. You'll get tired of hearing about the books if you stay a reader. You've been warned.

Jaded ~ *giggle* Consider him hugged.

Zooom ~ Luckily, Lithus and I are both really good at separating professional work from personal relationships. I also know that I have Absolutely No Skill in this field so there are no egos bumps along the way. And oh yeah ~ the site will be broadcast!

GOML! ~ I would bow down to your superior knowledge if I had any idea what you just said. I know all the words you used; they just make no sense to me in the order in which you used them. It is now time for tea and cookies.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it! Way to build your platform! :-)

Love,

The FE :-)

kimber said...

Looking forward to seeing your site!

Krystal said...

"I am sitting next to him playing minesweeper on my computer."

OMG! That's funny!

Lithus is a good man!!! I hope he gets lots more kisses!!!

And PLEASE I want to know the web address!

Anonymous said...

Yea for the website! Can't wait to see it. I'm sure the pookman is dreading the day I finally decide to build my own. I have a big "me do" problem when it comes to my computer when it is much faster and easier for him to do it. So, how much minesweeper can be played without going totally nuts?

2 Dollar Productions said...

That's great, and you seem to be taking care of Lithius well for his efforts. That stuff is compeltely foreign to me as well (the website building part).

It sounds exciting, and good luck pushing through until it's live.

BostonPobble said...

The FE ~ AAAAA!!!! I miss you. And tell Himself I coded parts of it on notebook. ;)

Wolfgrrrl ~ Thank you. Very soon now.

Krystal ~ So glad you get my sense of humor. ;)

Pharmyard ~ Nah, I'm all about letting him do this! Although were we to ever get Lithus and the Pookster in the same room with a computer, you and I would become superfluous in a heartbeat.

$$ ~ I have passed your goodluck wishes onto Lithus as pushing through for me has simply meant changing from minesweeper to solitaire. ;)

Krystal said...

Where's the Sunday Poll question?

BostonPobble said...

Krystal ~ LOL I slept in after being awake in the middle of the night. There you go. ;)