Pages

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Oh. My. Goodness.

Here's an open secret for you ~ I write for a little, independent, freebie newspaper out of northern Washington and have since last summer. Every month, I write a column about whatever happens to be happening in my world. When I was in New England, they were things that were going on there. Since coming out here, they've been things that have been going on here. The style is very similar to my Pobble Thoughts. I've known they were running but, because of logistics, I have yet to see a hard copy of the paper.

Last night, Lithus and I went to the club where I first met the editor of this paper. She and I haven't caught up in person since the night we met and I got the writing gig, ten months ago. We were hugging and gabbing and all that when she grabbed the mic from the stage and announced my presence. And the evening changed.

People came up and introduced themselves. People wanted to meet "the writer from Boston." People wanted to shake my hand. People have been reading, enjoying and really appreciating the articles. People wanted to ask about Boston and the move here to Washington. People said that, as they read my articles, they felt I was speaking to and for them. People said they had hoped to meet me one day.

It was flattering and surreal. All I was hoping to do was have a night on the town with Lithus. I ended up meeting fans. All because of a monthly article I wasn't sure anyone was even reading.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Those are still stunned Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

13 comments:

lithus said...

It was a wonderful sight to see. Pobb was surrounded with her fans each wanting to talk to her.
I enjoyed watching Pobb graciously spend time with each person.

Jaded said...

Of course you have fans! That's exactly as it SHOULD be!!

See? You truly ARE a rock star!

ZooooM said...

O HOW TOTALLY FUN!! Like a meet up but you didn't have the stress of anticipating it, organizing it, preparing for it. If that makes sense. Isn't it great when you find out people are having a good time - because YOU gave them something to have a good time with?

er...that totally came out wrong, but I think you know what I mean.

BostonPobble said...

Blacklok ~ Ah thank you my dear. It was good to have you there during the surreal event that was last night.

Jaded ~ I guess it just never dawned on me it would happen like this. I can handle being a rock star...I think.

Zooom ~ It makes perfect sense, even the part that you think didn't come out quite right. ;)

Crow Mother said...

Oh! Oh! Oh!!! Oh, YAY!!! Oh, Dear Pobble!!!! Not at all either of the potential outcomes we were anticipating last night...!!! Oh! Oh, my. Oh, I'm so proud!! :D

And I didn't get a phone call at 3:00 am?!?!? grrr....

And it's 10:23 the next night, and I'm having to find this out from your blog???? double g rrrr....

(oh, I'm so proud!) hehehehe!

2 Dollar Productions said...

That must have been one great night. I hope you soaked it all up as that is great.

Anonymous said...

Crikey! How cool for you...and the folks who got to meet you. I've been reading you for a long time and hoping to meet you someday so I completely understand those folks!

christine mtm said...

i'm proud of you too. you deserve every minute of fan appreciation you got and then some.

and on a similar note: i got the advanced copy of the book i contributed to last night... and there was my name- in print and my writing- in print!

though i don't think i will ever be the rock star you are it was pretty cool.

kimber said...

That's fantasic! The support of the masses! And why shouldn't you have fans out there, reading your stuff -- we read you, so we understand why your fans read you!

Tai said...

Wonderful!
Maybe, one day, I too will be able to shake hands with the fabulous Pobble....
I look forward to it!

nRT said...

BP; I am so happy for you..imagine your famous and you didn't even know it. How cool is that.
Are you using your PT Shank name like your books for your articles or another name. I would love to look up the articles.
Again Congratulations another Boston Success Story....

Hermes said...

Well deserved. You should have a fanclub. I'd gladly be... treasurer?

BostonPobble said...

Crow ~ Consider me scolded. Next time I'll call at 3 a.m.

$$ ~ I did. It was amazing.

Traci ~ Thanks!

Lovely Cats ~ Whoo-Hoo! Rock star is in the eye of the beholder and you're definitely a rock star in my book.

Wolfgrrrl ~ Thanks. One of these days K. Bannerman and P. Trent are going to knock some people off their butts by being seen having coffee together. ;)

Tai ~ That day will come. It has to because I'm looking forward to it as well and the Universe wouldn't dare deny us both. ;)

Nancy ~ Ah, thank you. Unfortunately, the paper is little enough and indie enough that it isn't online.

GOML! ~ While I can't see it ever getting quite that far, I'd be honored for you to be my fan club treasurer.