Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

They Come in Threes, You Know

My baby Daisy died yesterday. When Don posted about his Daisy and the the Lovely Cats posted about Cinderella, I actually thought hmmm...I wonder if Daisy will make three... before deciding she probably wouldn't because, while she certainly wasn't getting younger, she wasn't sinking terribly quickly either. She was just being herself.

Lithus and I needed to be on the road for work so we called SuperSitter who was more than happy to come visit with them. But on Saturday, she called Lithus' cell phone. We couldn't leave Saturday but we were able to leave Sunday instead of Monday and made it home in time.

I think she was waiting for me. I picked her up about 4:30 and held her and rocked her and let her know I was there. We went outside and sat in the fresh air and the sun for a little while. We rocked and talked and sang for almost two hours. I told her she was going to meet my dad and he would take care of her until I got there and not to worry when it was a long time before I showed up; I wasn't going to ever forget her and would be there eventually. She was in my arms when she died. I have to think that she knew I had made it home to her.

When I got them, we discussed three years. I knew we were on borrowed time so figured three years would be good. Bless her, she managed to give me two and a half. I'll take 'em. Everyone talks about how I was the one who gave so much to her. How I saved her life. And that's true enough. I did. What people don't often get though is how much she gave to me, that she saved my life, too.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

22 comments:

Cam Pike said...

You have my deepest. She was a cutie.

Your toast.

Crow Mother said...

I'm so glad she waited for you! And relationships like this are usually mutual, so one person's angel is, in turn, abundantly blessed by the experience. I know we were... the fledglings still play "Super Lionel and Super Daisy" and yell and squeal when they appear on the screen saver. Our love to you, dear Sister, and great thanksgiving for ALL the lives affected (and saved) by Daisy's presence.

Always your
Crow

Graziella said...

I can identify with saving a dogs life and them saving yours in exchange...

My deepest condolences and love. Daisey left me many happy memories.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Oh, I'm just crying over here. I'm so sorry about your little Daisy; I've been with you since you brought her and Lionel home.

Hugs.

Tai said...

Oh Pobble. I'm so sorry. We give our lovely pets so much, but you're right, they give us everything.

Momo said...

I'm so sorry about your Daisy...

You probably gave her the best 2-1/2 years of her life...

And I'm glad you were able to be with her - what a touching post.

Pets ARE such a blessing.

Nemeria said...

Thinking of you and Lionel...

Anonymous said...

I will never ever forget how she yapped and barked at me the first time she saw me. How she jumped up and around and let her tongue loll out from the side. She has to be one of two dachshunds that I actually loved. And I'm sure you know who the other one is.

Much love and sincerest wishes to her as she transcends to the next realm of being. Pure happiness.

Jaded said...

I am profoundly sad for your loss. This made me cry. Of course she knew, of course she waited and of course you gave her what she needed, just as she gave you what you needed. God doesn't do things like that by accident.

I hope she and your dad are sitting together, sharing Pobble stories.

Anonymous said...

So Sorry to hear about Daisy. She was a love. And so are you...thinking about you and Lionel.

Love,
The FE

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Pobble. It doesn't surprise me in the least that she waited for you.

kimber said...

My deepest condolences, Pobble -- dogs speak their emotions through their actions so yes, I believe Daisy did wait for you, to let you know how much she loved you, too.

Aisha T. said...

Oh, BP, I am so sorry. It's wonderful that she waited for you so you had a chance to be with her.

CrackerLilo said...

Oh, Gods, Pobble, I'm sorry! *big hug*

I am so glad she waited for you.

I am so glad you had the time together that you did.

akakarma said...

I'm so sad about your loss. I am glad tho that you were able to hold her and that she waited for you. Our pets are so special- words can't really describe....

nRT said...

BP: I am so sorry for your loss, know I am thinking of you and your Daisy.

ZooooM said...

My heart breaks for you. When you guys find each other again, it's going to make the afterlife news (in a good way). I guarantee it. I think part of her knew/knows you were/are in good hands now (Lithus) so she could say her goodbye (for now) and her thank you's to you for everything.

BostonPobble said...

To Everybody Who Commented ~

Thank you so much for your support these last few days. It has meant a great deal to me. We'll be back to the regularly scheduled nonsense here at Pobble Thoughts soon.

2 Dollar Productions said...

I'm sorry Pobble. But I'm glad you made it home to see her. Again - I'm sorry as I know it is never easy.

Hermes said...

How sad. Condolences. A good thing you made it back in time. For you, as well as for her.

Rose said...

Sorry to hear about Daisy. I'm late getting here. But I'm thinking of you....

Krystal said...

I am so sorry! I'm glad you got to say good-bye to her though. It was a gift that she waited for you.