Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

The Thing About the Election

Here's how I see it ~ we could hold the election tomorrow and it would fall out the same way it will in November. Both sides are bolstering their candidates and smearing the other's. Activists for both sides are pointing out information and facts that show their candidates in a positive light and that show the opponents in a negative one.

There seems to be this attitude on both sides that says If you would just really listen to this... or If you would just understand that... and then the other side would miraculously and immediately throw off their support for one candidate and switch to the other. If we would just understand the evils of the one and/or the pros of the other, it would be an obvious choice.

But, people, nothing we're learning is anything new. Nothing we're hearing is anything new. The lies and disinformation aren't new. The truths and facts aren't new. The people who have heard the same thing and interpreted them differently aren't going to change their minds just because you want them to.

Yes, there might be some hugemongous scandal on one side or the other between now and Election Day. Both sides (I would imagine, anyway) are actually hoping for it to hit the other. But even that won't be about the issues. Won't be about how McCain-Palin or Obama-Biden would run the country. It would be an emotional, knee-jerk scandal that changes people's minds. It won't be that John McCain is diagnosed with Alzheimers. Or that Barack Obama actually is a terrorist. Because the other facts are already out there, already known. McCain doesn't have Alzheimer's. Obama isn't a terrorist. Both sides are dealing hypocritically with the other. Both sides do have their strengths and their weaknesses. We know it already.

Stop being so freaking shocked about it! Stop trying to change each other's minds. We have all heard the information. We have all made our decisions. Can we just have the election now? Please?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Except there really are undecideds... Enough to swing the election to one side or the other. There really are people who are listening and will be listening and will be influenced by what a candidate -- or a neighbor -- says. So we do need at least some of what is ahead of us, particularly in light of the financial collapses of today....

BostonPobble said...

Appsrus ~ I think it is very, VERY possible that if anyone else had left this comment, I would've rolled my eyes and agreed to disagree. Since it wasn't anyone else, I will believe you. Keep talking to your neighbor!

Dennis R. Upkins said...

I have to agree with Appsrus.

Not only is there the undecided but there are also the apathetic non-voters who might be interested in voting because of the firestorm one way or the other.

In class today the election was brought up. Several students stated they were going to vote but they weren't sure who they were going to vote for.

I didn't state which side I was supporting because as a professor I don't believe in stressing my political or religious beliefs.

However I told the class that I would urge them to listen to both sides fairly and equally, learn the issues, learn the facts for themselves and then make an educated decision and to go vote. I told them that they have no right to complain if they do nothing and if they see disparities in this country, then they should take action and do something about it.

I agree with you that most people are going to believe what they want to believe no matter what the facts state but the thing about society is that perception is reality. So something doesn't have to be true but if enough people believe or at least suspect it or pass it off as fact, that can do damage in itself.

Hermes said...

In Canada, the election was called just a few days back. The big event is set for October 14. Simpler, but I actually think the American system can encourage greater involvement in the democratic process.
I don't know what to say about the discussion going on here. I do know that there is a difference between a discussion and an argument. In an argument, you are trying to change someone's mind. In a discussion, you are simply stating your position.

On another note, my students asked me who I was going to vote for. After some reflection, I told them. I respect what Professor Upkins says here about using a lecture hall or classroom as a pulpit. I am aware of the danger.
But I do have political opinions and, in the end, I felt that it was more important that they see me as someone who has biases (we all do) and is willing to be direct about them. I try to be fair in presenting all the sides of an issue that I can.
I also said that I was not necessarily right and that not everybody agrees with me. When they come to voting age they will be expected to make up their own minds. But this is a harder road than not making my beliefs known. It is fraught with the danger that the Professor points out.
I guess they can come back to me in twenty years and tell me if I was wrong or right.

BostonPobble said...

Dennis R Upkins ~ I actually really want you and appsrus to be correct. This is my cynicism showing and I admit it. Appsrus has his neighbor, which gives me some faith. This is one of those times I would LOVE to be wrong!

GOML! ~ When it comes to a teacher/professor expressing political views, I can understand both your side and Dennis R Upkins'. Honestly, I think I would handle it the way you both did. Professor Upkins is a college prof. His students are of voting age. They need (in my opinion) to be making up their own minds. That isn't his job. Your kids are high school and younger. They are still learning how to make up their own minds. Helping them learn to do that is part of your job. Of course, that and a buck fifty...

ZooooM said...

I can't add anything, because it is very very very hard for me to comment on anything political. Just trust me, it is. But I appreciate and learn things from these discussions, so I'm glad they are here. Comments and BP post alike.

Krystal said...

HA! HA! HA!

About the undecided voters...
A good number of those undecided voters aren't going to vote at all. I believe it to be hype to keep the political machines going so the news has something to report.

I also believe that another portion of the "undecided" voters already know who they're leaning towards/going to vote for. It's as though saying they haven't decided makes them somehow appear to be using more brain power than the rest of us, giving it greater consideration somehow.

In the end, those who are basically conservative will vote McCain/Palin. Those who are basically liberal will vote Obama/Biden. The Libertarians will split between the two (how, I'm not sure).

And all the Democrat/Union/KKK members will be beating their heads against the wall because they're stuck in such an incredible quandry. How to vote?! How to vote?! Black man or Republican?

OY VEY!

(Not to make light of it, but you KNOW that race is going to have a greater impact at the polls than people want to admit.)