Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Autumness

It's a word now, dammit! :)

Anyone who's read Pobble Thoughts for very long knows I am far more out with my religion here than I am in real life. However, I've taken a brave step and have actually set up a permanent altar. For the first time, it felt like the right thing to do. Lithus has been encouraging me to do so since I moved in with him and, technically, at the old place, there was a space for it. It just didn't feel like a good space for it. Here, though, there's space. And it feels like good space. So...we'll see.

This is a lovely time of year for me. I love the Harvest and Halloween decorations. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday, followed by Halloween. There is something welcoming and warm about the oranges and pumpkins and apples and browns and reds when you walk into just about any store. Even when the temperatures are warm as they are now ~ hell, it's warmer now than it was in August ~ there is still something about the season.

Crow Mother called me today. Last year, we were together at Samhain. We are both crazy about Autumn. Our respective partners have always been very understanding about this and humored us lovingly and without patronizing us. However, to actually be together, with the other person who gets it last year was wonderful. We went a little pumpkin crazy, had some amazing jack o' lanterns, homemade pies, decorations...you get the idea. Earlier this week, I had teared up telling Lithus about it. Today, she called for the same reason. Thanksgiving can't come soon enough.

Last year, the one negative was the fact that it was impossible to find black taper candles. Appsrus sent me a dozen. I have horded them for the last year, being very careful to use them well. This year, black candles are readily available. And it's a good thing too because I am almost out of my Appsrus candles. So we're stocking up.

I'm actually living with someone who likes the same kind of decor as I (finally!) so we're actually stocking up on a lot more than just black candles. "Halloween" decorations that will find permanent homes in our home. Gorgeous black candlesticks, really cool placemats and raven glassware. Plus, my black feather wreath from my first Samhain single is getting hung in the living room where everybody can enjoy it.

Autumn is always good. This Autumn...well, this is how it's supposed to feel.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

10 comments:

Nemeria said...

I was thinking of you today, and how much this is your season. Of course, it's raining here at the moment. I'm looking forward to the leaves turning colors, especially the large tree in the front yard - beautiful burgandy leaves. Glad all is well with you, my friend!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!! I'm SO glad you can just BE, in all of your glory and goodness. If you need black taper candles, you can always find them online. I just googled them and found a ton. Plus, I see them in craft stores a lot at this time of the year. Give Lithius a big hug from me, please. He deserves it, for obvious reasons.

Autumn is my favorite time of year, although it tries to kill me because I'm exceedingly allergic to it, lol. I was just telling the hub about needing to buy some corn stalks and Indian Corn to decorate my front porch with. This year, we're having a Halloween party for Petunia and her friends. I'm SO excited about that. I posted a pic at my place of the costume she wants. She wants to be a monster this year. I could NOT talk her into being a princess again. She just kept saying "No, I be monster, Mommy." Pretty good sentence, eh?

I get downright giddy from now through the middle of January. I love everything about the first chill in the air through recovering from the holidays. During winter, which I LOVE, I just like to nest and relax, but now, I am all about doing stuff... crafts, baking, cooking, entertaining...all of it. My students do their recording projects from the end of October through the beginning of December, so I work 7 days a week and love every second of it.

Ok, I'm done rambling. I was actually gonna call you today, but I could not ,for the life of me, find where I put your number. sheesh. xoxoxo

kimber said...

This is my time of the year -- cool days, cold starry nights, and Samhain just around the corner. I LOVE IT. I have a collection of autumnal, Halloween-themed t-shirts that I wear year-round, but when the actual season arrives, I'm giddy with joy!

I'm fascinated by your raven-feather wreath.... photos?

Dennis R. Upkins said...

I love Fall. Halloween is my favorite holiday (that and Christmas). Not a Thanksgiving person personally (the whole Native American Issue) but I love the rest of Fall.

And the decor sounds very awesome.

BostonPobble said...

Nemeria ~ Thank you. It means a lot to me that Autumn makes you think of me. Hugs to you.

Jersey Girl ~ Well, you're not alone as I just went to get your number to call you and...nope. Gone. And I, too, have horrible allergies during this time ~ I just don't care the same way I care the rest of the year. :)

Wolfgrrrl ~ Somehow, I thought you'd understand. ;) I'll see what I can do about a picture of the wreath.

Dennis R Upkins ~ I struggled with Thanksgiving as well once I hit 12 or 13 and really began to *realize* what we were celebrating. I have managed to rationalize it as a day, a time and a way to give thanks even more intentionally than usual for the blessings in my life. Still, I hear you. And I agree that the decor is cool but then, I'm biased.

Anonymous said...

So I'm an RA this year and am in charge of my own wing for Colby Halloween. Where each hallway decorates in either a scary or light hearted theme for all the children of workers on campus to have a safe trick or treat...I am beyond excited. These are the kinds of Halloweens I love. Being in a place where the leaves turn (unlike home) and feeling the crispness of air, buying candy for trick or treaters, and talking about what decorations to put up....It's my holiday with which I feel most at home.

christine mtm said...

post some pictures! i would love to see the decor. sounds wonderful and very you.

ZooooM said...

Nothing makes me happier than knowing you can be yourself out in the open with Lithus.

Fall is the BEST. I also love Halloween - although I don't have any religious ties to any of the fall or ... any holidays really.

I hope all of your fall is fantastic.

And I'd also like to add that in the Lithus grandpa post I read, I wish you saw my face. I was trying to figure out how fast Timber had grown up to have a child of his own. duh. I kept reading and finally got it! Congrats to the family on the grandchild!!

Hermes said...

Autumn aside, I am curious about how Raven fits into your ethos. On the coast, he is a trickster and mischief maker, but also the bringer of light and is responsible for the existence of humans in this world. My school overflows with stories about him.

BostonPobble said...

Dreamer ~ Sounds delightful! Enjoy.

Lovely Cats ~ Will work on the pictures. Should have shelves and such hung sometime over the weekend and will get some snaps then.

Zoooom ~ Thank you for the good wishes! And yes, so far, Autumn is going VERY well.

GOML! ~ Yes, Raven is indeed the mischief maker and trickster, as well as a shape shifter and bringer of light. He has always spoken to me, since I was a very little girl. And, as a quivering mass of contradictions myself, we seem to understand one another. Any day that is shared with a Raven is a good one for me.