Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thoughts on Window Shopping

As I have talked about here, the exploring thing was tough. It's getting easier. I'm getting out and about into my new little town (haven't quite made it into the city next door yet but we're getting there.) But for a little town, there's a lot happening here. This could be a fun place to be. There are, at least, lots of places to browse and compose Pobble Thoughts.

* I like to go into boutiques for the first time dressed down. Not slovenly or looking homeless, mind you. Like today. I'm in a grey jersey skirt and a black t-shirt. Lipstick and hair done but simple sandals and no jewelry or effort. Just dressed down. See, I'm a third generation Neiman Marcus shopper which means I know what service is supposed to be like. There are too many places far too willing to ignore someone dressed down. I figure, that gives me the right to be far too willing to ignore them when I'm dressed normally ~ and spending money rather than window shopping.

* I love high heeled (and flat, actually but for the sake of this part of the post, we'll stick to the high) oxfords and wingtips. Have since I was in high school as the Lovely Cats, Nemeria and Crow Mother could attest if my choices in footwear happen to be important enough for them to remember. This style comes in and out of fashion so I like to stock up when it's in to help get me through the lean years of out and therefore harder to find, if I happen to blow out a stitching during the interim. Oh, I can usually find a pair if I look hard enough ~ that's how I was able to fall in love with them in the first place ~ but it's also nice to have a pair of my favorites stuck in the back of the closet, just in case. And yes, they are back in fashion right now. Gonna have to change that from window to real shopping soon!

* All that being said ~ high heeled oxfords and wingtips should not be peep-toe, people. Please. Designers. Listen to me. Jacking up the heel 3 to 4 inches makes it girly enough. You don't have to cut the toe out, too. Are there exceptions to this? Of course. There are always exceptions. That's the one rule to which there seems to be no exception. But generally? Damn. Leave the toe in the shoe. I'm begging here.

* I like Speigel (the window shopping included some Windows shopping, too, I admit it.) Again, I have since I was a teenager. Their looks are classic with a twist. Kinda like me. Plus, something that I've realized that I didn't notice or care about when I was a teenager, their models are not thirteen years old. Their models aren't even twenty years old. It's nice to see a company that allows women in their 30s, 40s, 50s and older be stylish, fashionable, sexy, edgy and dressed their age, instead of looking like they are trying to dress like their teenage daughters and granddaughters.

* While I am stylish and fashionable, I am definitely not trendy. I am infinitely okay with this fact.

* I continue to be on the fence about the ready accesability of what can best be described as "Goth jewelry." Again, it's been my style for years. On the one hand, it's so great to not have to scour places looking for an interesting piece. It's nice that retailers are acknowledging that yes, we are out here and we do spend money and we do want quality stuff, not just plastic crap. On the other hand, if it's mass produced and sold in every shop on every corner of every town, is it really still interesting?

* CoverGirl Outlast 900 Chocolate Satin is a very difficult lip color to find here on the West Coast. It was everywhere I shopped in New England (which, let's be honest was only two cities in MA and one in CT with occassional forays out of New England into Jersey but still) Having looked for it now in four different places in the Pacific Northwest, all of the towns around Lake Tahoe and several cities in northern Nevada, one would think that, if it was even somewhat readily available, I would've found it. In that whole list, I've found it in one drug store in Minden, NV. Go figure.

* There is a florist. Right next to a cafe. I can take a book, sip a coffee, buy a couple flowers and come home. This makes me happier than I can express.

Exploring isn't easy for me. But God, it was worth it this time.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee...at a cafe next to a florist, if you're lucky.

5 comments:

Hermes said...

One of the things I like about new places is that you find new things that are your favourite. You can't find the shampoo you like but you discover a coffee shop that is unique and fulfilling in different ways. Since moving here, I have learned to appreciate fresh mountain huckleberries and dried moose meat. Never would have tried either if I was still living in town. But I do miss good mango.

Anonymous said...

Saw some really cute earrings I thought you might like while I was shopping earlier this week. Trying to look for something to wear to a concert I was going to attend on Tuesday...oh, btw...guess who I saw?!?!?!

NIGHTWISH!!!!!

It was simply amazing...they have a new singer, she's been with them for a while now, but she's absolutely amazing. Her name is Anette. Anyways...yeah...utter blast.

BostonPobble said...

GOML! ~ Exactly. As usual, you understand.

Dreamer ~ I am officially and formally envious. As would be the Muppet and his Peaches if they knew. :) Last I had heard, they had canceled their Houston gig due to Ike. Where else did they play in TX? Wherever it was, I'm glad you made it!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm happy and cheering for you. Exploring AND finding a few great places, esp. a coffee shop and a florist. It's just lovely!

I imagine you are *much* more fashionable and trendy for me. Every time I try to put together an "outfit," I go out wondering if I've instead assembled a "get-up."

Anonymous said...

I saw them in Dallas and they played in Austin and yeah, they canceled Houston because of the flooding...Jacob was sad about it. I have tons of pictures of it...I'll show them to you eventually.