Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

How It Works

A comment from Graziella and an event last night made me laugh this morning.

I used to live on the 3rd floor of a three-family in MA (for those of you who don't know that phrase, it's a three floor building with one apartment on each floor and shared front and back stairwells). After Graziella moved out of the second floor (which is how we met), two young men moved in. One was a conductor on the commuter train from Worcester to Boston and the first train left at 5:17 a.m. I was writing Falling In Love and Business Words at the time.

The Conductor would leave home about 4:30 to go to work. When he walked out his back door, he would sniff. If he smelled cigarette smoke, he would lean over his balcony and look up. If I heard him, I would lean over my balcony and look down. "Good night, Pobble" "Good morning, Conductor. Have a good day." "Have a good sleep." And he would start his day as I was finishing mine.

Lithus has been moving a bird from the west coast to the east coast. He needed to be up at 3:45 this morning. So, at 12:45 last night, I called him. "Good morning, Lithus. This is your wake up call." "Good night, Pobble. You get a good night's sleep. I'll see you in a couple hours."

Because that's how it works sometimes.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

Hermes said...

That it works is the important thing. Good night Pobble.

Rose said...

Wow...this is interesting.....one up and one going down...

2 Dollar Productions said...

I liked this story . . . made me smile. But man we work at completely different times. Ha.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Pretty sweet image.

Gay Soldier's Husband said...

:)

(Sometimes things I read just make me smile, and I don't really have anything else to day. So if I leave you just a smiley in your comments I'm not trying to be cutesy... heheh)

BostonPobble said...

GOML! ~ Good night or good morning, to you as well, whichever works.

Rose ~ Exactly.

$$ ~ I'll start giving you wake-up calls then. lol

GNGirl ~ It was a good moment in life.

DGSH ~ :)

traci said...

:) You make me smile. Often.