Pages

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Atmospheric Train Wreck

I am obsessed with the nation's weather right now. Weather.com has become my addiction. I don't want to look but I can't quite look away. It's hot. It's crazy, mad, wicked hot.

Yes, there is a cooling trend on the way. Yes, it has even already gotten to the west coast. But right now, here on the east coast ~ it's hot. Current actual temp here in Worcester right now is 94 and the heat index is 106. I grew up in the south. I don't care which side of the Mason Dixon line you're on. 106 is hot.

Next week, I'm going to be in California. There are three different places it is reasonable for me to expect I will be spending evenings. So I check their ten-day forecasts in order to start planning what laundry needs to be done. The highs are pretty similar. The lows ~ the expected evening temperatures ~ are 79, 75 and...43. Wait. What? 43? Forty-three? As in 11 degrees above freezing 43? Now, I get how I'm supposed to pack for seven days of 43. And I get how I'm supposed to pack for five days of 79 and 75. But how the hell am I supposed to pack for twelve days of 79 and 43? And to think, I had images of only using one suitcase. Silly Pobble.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

12 comments:

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

How about fur-lined flannel bikini's and thigh high leather boots...:)

2 Dollar Productions said...

If you were in Austin it would be easy to pack as it's hot as hell every day and pretty much every night.

The temp only dips from near 100 to the high 80s.

That being said, I would rather prepare for some colder weather because by August I feel like mowing people down in my car because of the heat.

BostonPobble said...

Okay folks ~ my word verification for this response post is "sukkkd" as in "this heat wave has sukkkd!" Just had to share.

Dagoth ~ You've been reading the blog long enough to learn my style! I feel so accepted. :)

2 Dollar ~ I'm looking forward to the cooler weather, definitely. Texas in summer is not my idea of a good time! You have my sympathies. And bail money should you give into the urge to run people down.

ZooooM said...

That's totally our weather. It can be hotter than crap in the daytime, then gets cold at night and foggy.

Mostly though, at least here in the OC, it's been (thank goodness the heat wave broke) only about 85 or 80 daytime, and I guess about 65 at night. I'm guessing the 43 stuff is for the mountains. The part of CA that actually gets snow in the winter.

Because the mountains are about 2 hours or less from any one of the major cities you will probably be at - I'm betting that the lows are factored in and bring things down for the whole area.

Unless you are going to any mountainy parts, you will probably be fine with planning for the 70s to 80s for both day and night.

And I'm obsessed with weather sites too, but mostly when it's raining. I love to see the radar of what's coming or ... not coming. If rain wakes me up at 3am, I'll jump on the computer to see what's next.

Have a safe and fun trip!

CrackerLilo said...

I'm sorry, I'm too jealous of you going into cooler weather to suggest anything...

Graziella said...

I've had the good fortune of being invited to go swimming with Tattoo tonight. I also found waterproof band-aids to cover my loveley 5cm stitched up gash in my leg, even better. 106 is hot, not a fan.

Jaded said...

Today, according to the thermometer on my front porch, it was 105 in the shade. No breeze at all. It's oppressive.

Just pack a pair of jeans and a sweater and/or sweatshirt along with the other stuff. That should cover the whole weather extravaganza.

dondon009 said...

How fortunate you are to have cooler weather to look forward to!

We in Florida have at the least two months more of this with the never ending possibility that there is a hurricane on the horizon.

Speaking of heat, my computer is on its' way to HELL which is why I've not been blogging on commenting!

Have a wonderful time in California and find yourself a snuggly hairy bear (of the human male kind) to keep you warm (not to mention the other possibilities)!

You will be missed, my friend!

Be safe.......

Remember that you are loved..... by ME~

Dreamer said...

Pobble darling, as I said before...sounds like Heaven. ^^

Tai said...

Always the thigh high leather boots.

Krystal said...

LOL!

Blue Dog Art said...

Forget weather.com. What is worse is that I have a friend who is an actual meteorologist. He often sends hilarious doomsday snowstorm predictions. I should add you to my list of people that I forward the forecasts. My best friend in FLA loves reading them. Have a great trip to CA.