Pages

Monday, March 26, 2007

Brought to You by the Word "Misanthrope"

Over the past month or so, I have had several people say to me something along the lines of: "Pobble, I really love talking to you because you make me feel normal" or "This is why I talk to you, Pobble. You make me see myself differently" or some variation on that theme. And what have I done to make these people more accepting of themselves? I've been accepting of them. Period.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am flattered beyond words and description that I make people feel good/normal/accepted/acceptable/whatever about themselves. That's truly high praise. What I hate is the fact that other people have made them feel less than in the first place.

There has been a huge debate about the morality of sexuality ~ specifically homosexuality ~ recently. I left a comment over at dondon's place that those debates amuse and frustrate me because it is (in my opinion) similar to debating the morality of breathing. Sexuality simply is. It is neither moral nor immoral. (And before anyone says anything, I am talking about sexuality that manifests itself through consentual sexual activities between consenting adults.) It just is.

Friends have come to me recently because they "aren't manly enough" or "aren't feminine enough" or dare to think this way instead of that way ~ and have gotten grief from other individuals and society in general over it. Hell, I even had a friend inform me she "wasn't Goth enough." Dude ~ when the Goth culture starts judging, you know the world has gotten into a bad place. To which I have given my honest opinion every time: I think you're great.

So what is so hard about keeping our damn mouths shut if we disagree? What is so hard about respecting others' choices? What is so hard about letting people be who they are without trying to impose our own crap on other people? And why I am the only one who seems to be accepting of these amazing, wonderful people who call me friend?

And that's why I'm a misanthrope.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

Jaded said...

Because too many people are concerned with being RIGHT and it's easier to feel RIGHT if you can point your finger at someone and call them WRONG.

Of course, they're wrong ;)

dondon009 said...

All I can say is "thank you for being a friend"... and for a wonderful 56 minutes and 13 seconds of your time last nite....

I love you, dear

DON~

christine mtm said...

funny how similar we are thinking right now and how easily i could connect my last post with yours.... except you are so much nicer about it than i feel currently.

and as always... no one makes me feel the way about myself the way you make me feel about myself.

Spider Girl said...

I am astonished and blessed by the variety of people I share very good friendships with. And sometimes I think I love them BECAUSE of their quirks/differences/wild far-out philosophies and not DESPITE them.

And I'm happy they all seem to put up with/admire/are amused by my own quirks.

And as an ex-Goth myself, I have to laugh at the not-Goth-enough idea. Heh, deep down I probably AM one still--just rather more cheerful and more colourful in dress in recent years than is strictly de rigeur for that form of expression. But I assure you it doesn't keep me up nights analyzing if I am one or not anymore. :)

Graziella said...

Thanks so much for helping me ease up on myself, it made me stay mostly sane the rest of the days in isolation. I love you!

Anonymous said...

My dear Pobble, I believe you ROCK! Absolutely. Peace.