Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Scrabble, Anyone?

The true question of the Universe isn't "why are we here?" or "is there a God" or "what is the meaning of life?" The true question of the Universe is "Just how much of a goob is the Boston Pobble?" This question, ladies and gentlemen, dear readers, has been answered.

I woke up to this email from the Lovely Cats:


this word was in a puzzle i just did.
be honest, have you ever seen it before?
axolotl


Ooooo! No, I hadn't! How exciting...

Aren't you excited? I knew you were. Because, as I said to Lithus, "I was so excited, not only did I have to look it up but I had to post on it!" And if I'm that excited, I know you are, too. (And in case you're wondering, no, I'm not joking. I'm this excited. It's a new word! It's a new thing to learn! Yeah ~ pretty damn gooby...and pretty damn excited, too. I'm okay with this.)

So! Here you go:

The axolotl (aːʃoːloːtɬ), Ambystoma mexicanum, is the best-known of the Mexican neotenic mole salamanders belonging to the Tiger Salamander complex. Larvae of this species fail to undergo metamorphosis, so the adults remain aquatic and gilled. The species originates from the lake underlying Mexico City and are also called ajolote (which is also the common name for Mexican Mole Lizards).[citation needed] Axolotls are used extensively in scientific research due to their ability to regenerate most body parts, ease of breeding, and large embryos. They are commonly kept as pets in the United States, Great Britain (under the spelling axlotl), Australia, Japan (sold under the name wooper rooper Ūpā Rūpā) and other countries.

Axolotls should not be confused with waterdogs, the larval stage of the closely related Tiger Salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum and Ambystoma mavortium), which is widespread in much of North America which also occasionally become neotenic, nor with mudpuppies (Necturus spp.), fully-aquatic salamanders which are unrelated to the axolotl but which bear a superficial resemblance. (source, wikipedia)






Cute little bugger, isn't he?

And now I know what to do with that X and those Ls.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

christine mtm said...

and the puzzle was one of thoe that every number cooresponds to a letter and i couldn't figure out how any word could end in "tl"

i figured you'd enjoy that word. and they sure are cute.

btw, my word verification looks like it should be a word: meablers

wanna come up with a definition for that?

kimber said...

Eeeee! I love words like this! My contribution: atlatl. Okay, so it won't use up the X's, but it's good to fall back on if you've got doubles of a's, l's and t's.

I hope Axolotl has helped you bust out of your writer's block -- the mere thought of writer's block causes my stomach to ache.

To echo Cats, my word verification happens to be "tacheem". That must mean something!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

While it IS a great word, he looks a lot like one of my aquarium aliens that YOU advised remaining in a HAZMAT suit for.

Still. Thank you for continuing to edumacate me.

(My word verification is geoxylli; what's that on the triple-word score?)

Dennis R. Upkins said...

Ahhhhh, he is cute. I have the Dictionary Word of the Day on my LJ RSS Feed so I know what you mean about learning new words.

BostonPobble said...

Lovely Cats ~ "Meablers: the critters that live under floorboards and create the noises that make one convinced someone else is home when, in reality, you are alone. Meablers."

Wolfgrrrl ~ Honestly, of all my readers, I expected you to truly appreciate the excitement and joy of a new word along with me the most. LOVE atlatl. Still blocked but hopeful. "Tacheem: The right-sized tool needed for the job that is always the one between the two sizes actually found in your toolbox. Tacheem."

GNightGirl ~ The biggest and most important difference however is this little guy is *supposed* to look like this. Your little guys were Encased In Something Alien-ish That Resembles A Bad Sci-Fi Flick. *shudder* What's the word on that, anyway?

Dennis R Upkins ~ I should've expected you to understand. :):)

Rose said...

Cute indeed..but so weird looking...