Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The People in Your Neighborhood

Yesterday, Lithus and I hopped the trolley up to the mall. A young-ish ~ late 20s ~ woman got on and wished the trolley driver a merry Christmas. Then, proceeded to announce "THAT'S RIGHT! I said it! Merry Christmas! If you're in retail or service, you're not supposed to say it, but I just did. What is happy holidays, anyway? It's not my problem if you got a problem with Christ."

She then moved on to tell us all about the new restaurant/pool/gym/private club that's opening ~ "only $100 per month!" ~ and she is a cocktail waitress there. By this time, she was sitting next to us. We were friendly, engaged her, joked about gyms that offer booze, and yes, as the conversation wound down, I said "And have a merry Christmas."

Oh! She was so happy. "I love it when people say it back! Happy holidays, bah! What is this holiday all those people are talking about anyway????"

*sigh*

I thought about it. I did. I thought about answering her "that would be the holiday Jesus Christ himself celebrated." I thought about telling her about my Yule that predates ~ and was co-opted by ~ her Christmas. In the end, I let it go. I let her be. Let her have her merry Christmas moment. She needed it far more than I needed to school her. Consider it my gift to her. Happy Yule.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.





0 comments: