Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Traditional Tradition

I haven't posted many traditional Christmas carols this year. Not because I'm Pagan or I'm trying to avoid references to Christ's birth. Beautiful  music is beautiful music and not constrained by faith or religion. The issue has been the choices I've been able to find. See, it's supposed to be a happy celebration. Joyous. Exciting. Uplifting.

When I hear carols and hymns in my memory, they are upbeat. Joyful. Those are the sounds of my childhood. The sounds I've been able to find this year may be the same songs, they are not the same sounds. When did carols and hymns celebrating the birth of Christ start sounding like dirges?

So, know I'm not trying to avoid anything. I've been actively looking for traditional carols and hymns. They are some of my favorites, too. But I want them to sound like I remember them, not like they are being sung by someone about to jump off a bridge.

'Cause really, that's not what it's about.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.


0 comments: